Is my tank overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonserviamgr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, i got a 55g tank with fluval 306 filter.

I currently got:

upper:

3x angelfish

1x Ctenopoma

3x Choco gourami

1x Swordtail

Bottom:

1x Chinese fire belly newt

1x Red Tailed Shark

3x Corydoras Panda

6x Kuhli Loach

1x Bristlenose Pleco

Would you consider this overstocked or is it okay to add some more?
Im thinking of adding 3 more cory and a yoyo loach and maybe 2 female swordtail.

Thanks for all answers in advance ;)

Here is my two cents :)

You might want to consider three more panda corys - they are true schoolers and do best when kept in groups of six or more of the same species.

How large are the angels? When they get older, they will get a little mean when they pair up if there are male and female, get really mean if all male; all females will pair up and act like a mated pair, lol.

If those are true chocolate gouramis, they may not do well in that type of setup.

I don't know about newts, but always heard they were kind of dirty. I wouldn't add too much more until you see how the mix you have pans out.

How long have you had this set up? What are your water parameters?

I want to say overstocked, plus some of your stock may not find this ideal.

Leopard bush fish are carnivores by nature and if any of your fish are 1.5" or less may get eaten as they get around 8".

2 as angles begin to show their cichlid side they may bully the leopard fish.

Chinese fire belly Newts as adults need dry land to survive happily. Plus their skin contains tetrodotoxins. I don't know how this would effect the water for the fish. Also they prefer an unheated aquarium. Temps in the mid 70'sF may kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have put together a bad combo of fish as several require different types of environments. The Bush Fish really limits the rest of the tank as they will hunt or hide and once the angels grow into their attitude the Bush Fish might well starve to death if stress doesn't do the job first. Then you have the Chocolate Gouramis that are very shy and stress easily. They are not for beginners and like the bush fish need a set up suited for them. Regardless, the newt should find a new home they are not compatable with the set up.

If you ask me, you need to set up several tanks or rehome some fish.

Back
Top Bottom