Is penn plax 1000 a good filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear5800

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got done putting my plax 1000 together on my 90gallon tank just would like to know if anyone have one on a tank ? and do anyone think 1000 will be enough for a 90 or do I need more

It's ok, for a canister. I got mine new in the box free from my old boss, while I was working at the lfs. I found that the directions were pretty bad so setup was confusing, and priming the thing is a nightmare. It's also loud compared to my other canisters (Fluvals and Renas). It's good for free, but it wouldn't be one of my first choices as far as canisters go.

I ran it on a 75 gallon along with an Emperor 400. I do not feel that the 1000 would be sufficient to handle a 90 gallon on its own.

I wanted the rena xp3 but they want 130 for it but I could only spend a 100 rent is do

Bear5800 said:
Just got done putting my plax 1000 together on my 90gallon tank just would like to know if anyone have one on a tank ? and do anyone think 1000 will be enough for a 90 or do I need more

I have the same canister on a 40 breeder, the price was right. :) It should do ok on your 90 gallon, you can always add a HOB if you feel you need more filtration.

I would just wait for a good filter. Filters are definitely one of those things where you get what you pay for. If you can't pay rent because of your hobby, maybe you need to slow down a little for a while.

So can you tell me what a good filter what size and make of them so I can do the best for my fish tank . And can you tell me what is a good pumps are two 950 good enough for my tank thank you your help.

If I was doing a 90 I would just go with the Fluval FX5. It is $209 shipped on Amazon (that is cheaper than shops pay for it when they buy it direct from Hagen). It is not the cheapest thing out there, but it is by far the best. You can probably find a cheaper used one on craigslist or even eBay if you look.

Back
Top Bottom