Is superglue non-toxic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is super-glue non-toxic underwater? I ordered some aquarium decorations from a guy. He sent them to me, but they were broken when they got here. I asked him to simply refund my money. He offered to send me a tube of super-glue because he says super-glue is non-toxic underwater. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I honestly have no idea if it is or not. I would have to assume it is. However, what kind of business person does this? Doesn't offer you a replacement....doesn't refund your money, but offers to ship you superglue??? It's weird and odd and suspicious.

Cyanoacrylate is relatively non toxic.Medical field uses it to glue skin for healing ,only problem is it is water soluable and wont last long underwater.

It's not a business it's a private individual. He's probably not in a positition to offer a replacement so I was asking for a refund instead.

Well actually I'm also wondering the same thing. The top little bit for my gravel vacuum craked and I was wondering if I could use superglue on this and If that would be toxic (it obviously wont be in the tank for a long time.)

Well, now I'm a little ticked as the guy is refusing any sort of deal other than the superglue. He won't refund any of my money. What a shady guy.

If you aren't comfortable with cyanoacrylate for use in aquariums, use epoxy. It takes a little longer to set/cure, but it's non-toxic after it dries. I've used super glue to glue 2 pieces of glass together to make them thick enough for a DIY tank cover. Water/moisture gets between the layers, but they haven't come apart.

maybe once it dries for about a week, Is it possible he's reffering to a small bottle of the super glue they use on coral frags and what not, or even aquarium sealnet

do you mind if i ask you where you got it?
like ebay, online store or etc..
if its ebay or anything like that . leave bad feedback and go to the head of the online site.
and complain. thats what they are there for.
i bought a **** that came disgusting. i threatened to go to the actual people and the person sent me my money back before i could and told me to keep it. lol no charge. the shirt actually cleaned up nicely.
but i would.
j

I used Instant Krazy Glue (by Elmers) on one of my ornaments (Spongebob's arm is so thin, and I needed to get the net in his hand...man, was I mad...). I let it cure for a couple of days, and then rinsed and plopped it in. That was about 4 or so months ago. The arm is still in place, and everyone is still alive and thriving, so I suppose it's OK.

Hot glue is a nice alternative. You know those glue sticks that you melt with the applicator as you apply it? The only problem with them is they can leave a sloppy glob of glue on your ornament if you're not careful.

Ky'smommy said:
do you mind if i ask you where you got it?
like ebay, online store or etc..
if its ebay or anything like that . leave bad feedback and go to the head of the online site.
and complain. thats what they are there for.
i bought a shoot that came disgusting. i threatened to go to the actual people and the person sent me my money back before i could and told me to keep it. lol no charge. the shirt actually cleaned up nicely.
but i would.
j

I don't mind. I bought the stuff from a guy through the classifieds of another site.

super glue will be fine. Salties use it all the time to adhere coral frags to rock. I like the gel super glue since its not so runny...stays put.

just don't glue the ornaments to your fingers.

I wouldn't accept superglue as a 'fix' to the problem. You paid for the item in one piece. The fact that he is being obstinate would just make me angry. Did you pay with paypal? Anyway that you can go after him that way?

verucaproduce said:
I wouldn't accept superglue as a 'fix' to the problem. You paid for the item in one piece. The fact that he is being obstinate would just make me angry. Did you pay with paypal? Anyway that you can go after him that way?

Is it really worth going after someone for what is most likely a shipping problem? Yeah, he probably screwed up and didn't pack it well. The least amount of time and effort will probably be to just use superglue or epoxy.

verucaproduce said:
Is it really worth going after someone for what is most likely a shipping problem?

Yep. Because he was responsible for shipping. The least he could do would be to offer a refund.

Right now he's saying he can only give me $6.66 for a refund. He says the $16 I paid for all three items included $6 shipping so he will only refund 2/3rds of the $10. I figure I'll cut my losses and try to fix the stuff myself.

no i just thought if it was ebay i would complain. and yes it is a mistake.
but since all is well its ok and if hes offering some kind of refund he is making an effort. goodluck

Have you considered just looking into some aquarium sealant? I know you can buy it at most LFS's, or even cheaper as the generic silicone sealant (just make sure it is 100% silicone, no additives) at the local hardware store. It would do the job for sure, and there would be no uncertainty about any leeched chemicals, so it might be better for the task than superglue.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom