Is there a better Nitrate test??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an API master test kit for my freshwater tank. Regarding the Nitrate test, no matter how hard I shake the bottles, and no matter how much or often I change my water, the test always shows approx. 20 ppm. I am starting to think my test is bogus. Is there a better Nitrate test out there?

First have you checked your tap water to see if it has nitrates in it? Second if a filter is left dirty for too long it will also keep your nitrates higher. Same for a big build up of detris in a non-planted tank. There can be a lot of reasons. Also what size tank and stock?

I have a 38 gallon planted tank with 1 angel fish, 3 cory cats, 5 red minor tetras, 2 platys, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 molly and 1 swordtail.

When I test the water, the ammonia and nitrites are always at zero, but the nitrates are always at 20 ppm. In three days I did a 40 percent water change, followed by two 25 percent water changes. The nitrate level always stays exactly the same.

It's very likely your tap water has a nitrate level, it's not uncommon at all. In my experience, if the test is done improperly the reading will show a 0 instead of 20. If I were in your shoes, I would buy some distilled water and check that just to verify your test is working correctly. If you get a 20 nitrate reading with distilled water then something is very wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom