Is there a fish for my sister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying to find my sister a fish that fits all her requirements. Which are: colorful, possibly spotted, fast, round-ish. We only have a 12 gallon tank that we can put them in, so any suggestions?

Glowfish, guppys, beta, dwarf groumi there are a bunch just make sure that the fish don't get too big

I really don't know, I asked my sister gave her some ideas and no to all, she said "they have to swim fast"... But I like all those! I'll her get opinion:)

Endlers!!! They're really colorful, easy to find, fast, and hardy. :) they breed easily too... So go with all males.

I vote gardneri killifish! They are my favorite fish. They are both colorful and spotted. The only thing is that they love to hide in plants, so they are not necessarily fast.

Attachments

• images-8.jpeg
    images-8.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 146
Just FYI I've tried the basics for her I.E. Guppies dwarf gouramis, bettas, tetras etc. She seems to like the killifish! So that's a plus:) I'll try the others.

AquaKai said:
Just FYI I've tried the basics for her I.E. Guppies dwarf gouramis, bettas, tetras etc. She seems to like the killifish! So that's a plus:) I'll try the others.

There is another killifish that I really like, I can't remember the name of it right now. It is orange (it puts my glofish to shame it is so bright) and then the fins O talk about gorgeous! I will try to figure out the name...
Also chili rasboras are wonderful little fish (I have never owned them but they sure look cool in pictures)

**edit** here is a link to all my personal favorite killifish http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?cid=47 (I have only ever owned the gardneri and the orange one) the clown killifish stay very small so you could get quite a few.

Last edited:
I love the gardneri killifish! My sister loves it as well!! Now I just need to find them for sale;)

That's gonna be tough. I have never kept a killi hoewver I've researched, aren't they annual fish that only live a year in captivity? I have always wanted to keep some but none of the LFS have any.

I started to freak out when you said that! But I just looked them up and they said that the only reason why the die is because the water where they live dries up but in captivity they can last up to 5 years.

Reactions: HN1
Oh ok must've got them confused! I can't seem to find them anywhere though, do you have to special order them because no LFS carry them around here!

That's gonna be tough. I have never kept a killi hoewver I've researched, aren't they annual fish that only live a year in captivity? I have always wanted to keep some but none of the LFS have any.

"Annual" is a myth, based on their wild location seasonal rainfall.

I started to freak out when you said that! But I just looked them up and they said that the only reason why the die is because the water where they live dries up but in captivity they can last up to 5 years.

Exactly. Nice research. We have a 3 year old trio.

Oh ok must've got them confused! I can't seem to find them anywhere though, do you have to special order them because no LFS carry them around here!

Check out your local clubs or the American Killifish Association. They are fairly readily available.

balloon mollies!! look them up on google. i just got one yesterday shes yellow, round, and has dots on her. very cute

Balloon fish should be culled IMO. Not about the individual fish, it's about the breeding for abnormality that would spell death in the wild. JMO

Another option, I was looking around online and saw these and looked at a few pages that had contradicting tank sizes. I was wondering if they'd fit in the 12 gallon? Apistogramma cacatuoides “double red" or "triple red"

Back
Top Bottom