Is this a Mollie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this fish a Mollie? I was told at the store they were Mickey Mouse platies. But I'm not sure. These are the fish I bought.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425073129.597862.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425073153.096135.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425073172.447866.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The picture in the middle looks like a platy and two on the sides are ballon belly mollies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

That's what another guy told me the dang pet store sold me the wrong fish haha

Agree it's balloon bellies. And mollies are actually brackish fish. They are highly adaptable though for the reason they are always sold as freshwater in stores.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What does brackish mean??

Brackish water is where saltwater and freshwater bodies collide creating water with some salinity but not as much as saltwater. It also makes for some very unique fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

But since mollies are almost always sold in freshwater they are fine in freshwater. Just a little bit of extra info for you that they actually can live in brackish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Uh oh my tank is set up freshwater.. How do I change that

Oh ok they won't die without salt?

No they are fine. Sorry to confuse you. Just letting you know mollies are naturally brackish. They are pretty much always sold freshwater though. So yours are perfectly fine.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mollies and platies won't breed with each other will they?

Mollies and platies won't breed with each other will they?

no, it is genetically impossible, mollies and guppys can they are in the same family.

and platys and sword tails will to.
but when you can go down to the pet store ( no rush)
buy some aquarium salt, and each time you do a weekly water change add half the recommended amount into the bucket, so if you use a 5 gallon bucket and change 5 gallons of water ad enough salt into the bucket for 2/12 gallons, just keep doing it, slowly adding salty water is the key. don't make it give it all the salt the tank needs at once, get the fish salt slowly. if you have any Questions ask, and i was the one that told you how to start a thread.
before adding salt what other fish are in the tank?

Just the three pictured above are in the tank I had 4 but 1 died... :(

I have just a 10 gal tank right now getting bigger this weekend

I have just a 10 gal tank right now getting bigger this weekend

I mean do you have a test kit for your water? Testing your water is vital to the health of your fish and knowing what's going on in your aquarium. Many of us on here use the API Liquid Test Kit. It sells for about $30 at Petsmart, Petco, etc.. Amazon sells for a bit cheaper sometimes. It tests your pH, ammonia, nitrite, and Nitrate. Liquid tests kits are much much much more accurate than the little test strips. If you don't have a kit to test your water with i would say make that your top priority on your next visit to the LFS.

Not trying to overload you with info but a test kit is one of those "essentials" that is required to maintain a stable, healthy aquarium.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm going to the store now I'll get one

Back
Top Bottom