Is this a Mollie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So can we assume it is a brand new tank, or are they new additions to an established tank? When did you set it up? If it is an established tank, what else is in it and what kind of maintenance do you do? What temp is it at? Were there any water additives you used? Did you acclimate your new fish? There's a whole bunch of other questions we could ask.

It's a new tank been up for a week. No other fish in it. It came with some stuff to make tap water safe for fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's at 76 degrees and they were in the bag over night floating in the tank

well to start it should have been set up for around a month, you only need to float the fish for 15-20 mins, not 12 hours. it makes water safe, but doesn't give any bacteria start. i would return the dead fish and get your money back and get like 15-20 feeder goldfish or white cloud minnows and have them in there for at least a month. then remove them and add desired fish (more hardy stuff like live bearers anything beginner)
and get some live plants they will make it so much easier to keep your fish.
and do a Google search on the nitrogen cycle

Over night would be a bit long in my book, but probably wouldn't do them in. If you're buying locally I'd float the bag in the tank with the lights off, then every 15-20 minutes or so add a half cup of water or so from the tank to the bag, pouring some bag water off outside the tank if the bag is getting too full, until they're mostly in tank water, then pour as much of the water from the bag out, not into the tank, before pouring the fish into the tank. I'm usually done in 60-80 minutes, maybe a bit longer if I bought fish from out of town. I'd leave the lights off for a couple hours and let them figure out the new tank on their own before turning the lights back on.

One day it's tough to throw enough food in to pollute the tank to where they'd have trouble. Assuming you followed the guidelines on the additives there shouldn't be an issue there. Temp seems OK. You may have to chalk this one down to stressed out fish. Keep us informed of anything else that may have been introduced somehow into the tank, others may have ideas as well. If your store has a return policy you may be able to trade them back in for new fish. They may want a water sample from the tank as it sits. If so, take a sample in and see if they find anything going on.

I just went back through the thread and saw it's a 10 gallon tank. Kinda on the smaller side, so things can happen quickly. It helps to know what you are doing on cycling tanks at that size. I'm not sure that I'd do the 15-20 feeder goldfish mentioned above, 3-4 would be much less trouble but would get you started. Let it run and get established, it takes time. I'd start a 20 gallon carefully with the fish you originally picked up, I'd probably limit myself to 2 platies for a couple weeks with a bunch of water changes if I were starting a 10.

well it depends on size of the feeders, small ones don't live as long, i got 20 some from petsmart and now after 2 months i have 1, bet when i got them from my lfs 25 of the 30 survived, so if you get them from petco (where do you live (i only need city)) get about 20 and in 2 weeks you will have 5. i would highly recomed finding a good fish shop nearby, not a big box store but a small business with knowledgeable staff and healthy fish.
the thing about petco and petsmart is they have central filtration which means all the tanks have the same water, its a good idea its less expensive, but if i tank gets sick so do the 100 other tanks, but at a lfs they have independent (what re run on our tanks) they are all on their own water.

and the staff don't know much about fish, all they need to know is whats on the fishes label. i once asked a staff member at petsmart what the nitrogen cycle is he said "whats nitrogen" the other said" i know what it is, its an element" and she said "i have no idea what the cycle" while at a lfs the people are higherd as who is the the best character and know the most about fish care

Petco and PetSmart could in theory have good fish departments. Central filtration properly run has UV sterilizers and the can bring the possibility of disease spreading from tank to tank to very minimal, assuming they are maintained. The Petcos in our area all run the marineland systems, where each 4 foot three level section is a separate entity. PetSmart, really I've been into one and paid attention to it though, has me shaking my head and I walk in and see a beautiful system and few fish and the ones that are there don't do well.

They need to have good people, and with the way the fish hobby is going that might be harder to do than it was 30 years ago. They need to just flat out stay away from some types of fish unless they're going to make the effort to house them right and learn about them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that they look for fish expertise, they just look for some retail savvy if possible then "train" their employees to where they sometimes aren't absolutely horrible at fish (I used to be an assistant mgr at a Petco, after owning a fish store for 7-8 years before getting into other lines of work)... it's a common problem with a lot of corporate retailers. We actually have a guy at the Petco in our town I'll buy from and a guy in the next town I'll buy from that actually knows his stuff pretty well, other than that I'm going to the very few lfs all over the region to buy fish from.

On the goldfish, I can pretty much guarantee that any new aquariast with a 10 gallon that picks up 15 20 feeders will fish the majority of them out in 4-8 days. 3 to 4 at least have a chance. I'd have to look at Petco's and PetSmart's feeder tanks before I'll pass judgement on how their feeders will do. They can be amazingly tough. I used to own an aquarium shop and had the typical problems with feeders. I thought it was nuts when one of my suppliers said to try something, it worked great... would have been another story if the filter hadn't been established though. I went weeks at a time without losing feeders after that. A bare 40 breeder with a well established Emperor 400 on it that you do a 100% WC with straight cold tap water about an hour before the fish arrive can do wonders with feeders if you throw stress coat and about a cup of rock salt in it and just float the feeders to equalize temp then pour off all of the shipment water elsewhere. I had about a 2 year run where my goldies were flat out not dying even though the same fish were dying elsewhere. We used to bring in 1-2K a week. One time my supplier said he wasn't going to be by for 3 and I needed to order heavy and I brought in 4K, I might have lost a handful out of that batch.

I just recently got back into the hobby. Started my tank with 6 platies, then 3 weeks later it was 8 rasborah hets, 8 rummynose, 3 catfish and two ottos.... more than I wanted to do but it all worked. A much bigger tank than the OP has, and I bought a piece of anubias on driftwood that I put in the directed outflow of the filter that no doubt helped establish the tank. Tanks can be started with fish, but one has to be careful.

A. Do not add salt
B. Do Not buy feeder GF for a 10g tank. Goldfish need ponds or very large tanks.
C. Keeping them in a sealed bag for over an hour causes them to be living in toxic waste. Keeping them in a sealed bag over night is almost a guarantee of death.

Please read up on Fishless Cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

If you decide to cycle with fish, pick fish that will fit into a 10g.

Some ideas
Male Guppies perhaps
White Clouds
Glowlight Tetras

But no more than 2-3 fish total starting out.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

Do NOT run out and buy more fish until you read up and have a stocking plan.
AqAdvisor can help
http://aqadvisor.com

Check LiveAquaria for min tank sizes also.

I'm horrified that someone suggested a bunch of Goldfish !!! Good way for fish to die from Ammonia poisoning ?

If you want live plants and a normal freshwater tank, you do not need salt unless you have odd water conditions. As a newbie it's way too easy to over salt your tank and kill your plants.

This was my 10g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425114735.845482.jpg

http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Wow i missed a lot in 5 hours of sleep.

What it boils down to really is just making sure your tank is cycled, acclimating the fish accordingly (30-40 mins) and doing proper water changes. I change the water 50% once a week.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Listen to Coursair she's a genius :) you can do a fish less cycle or get some hardy tetras/danios/guppies to cycle your tank with. I prefer fish less but both are proven methods.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Picture 1: Dalmatian Molly
Picture 2: Dalmatian Molly
(Orange fish above is platy)
Picture 3: Ballon Molly

Back
Top Bottom