Is this a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-1888399799.jpg

So 1st it was flatworms. Nudi took care of this. Then suddenly I have Bubble algae. I took care of this both manually and purchased a Emerald Crab. Now I have sum sort of crimson colored algae. Is it time to give up and take up crocheting. Or is this an algae that can b left alone? Jeez, I even found out I have some kinda anemone that I thought were simple featherdusters. I guess there is another type of Nudi that deals with these things. Will a Lettuce Nudi eat this crimson algae as well as the Hair Algae? Everyone has been great on this site and hope u don't mind all my questions

I guess this was the wrong place to ask questions. Thanks Everyone!

I would suggest just removing it with a syphon and strip the hair algae off by hand. There is likely to be excess Nitrates and Phosphates in your water so look at testing and also test your source water. Do you use RO/DI?
As for buying livestock to solve a problem in your tank - Im not really a fan of that, you should consider trying to resolve the cause of the problem instead of just masking the symptoms. I do realise your frustrations though. Also can I suggest improving the flow in that area after you have removed it, this will often prevent algae from forming in that area. I hope this helps dude!

Thank u. I do use RO/DI water. And I test thoroughly. Even take it to a professional to test it occasionally. My water is perfect. I guess I'll just do what u suggested. It is kinda pretty as far as algae goes. And when u don't have much in the tank as far as livestock. I'm not worried about overstocking. I just wonder how many other surprises I might expect before things settle down. I do appreciate ur response.

I just wonder how many other surprises I might expect before things settle down. I do appreciate ur response.

From what I gather, A BUNCH and that is an estimate. :facepalm: Seems this hobby is always throwing surprises at everyone.

id just cut back on your lighting and feeding for a few days and see what the algae does.
i don't think you need to cut back on lighting, but that algae is getting out of hand. huma-huma and paulace hit the nail on the head with excessive nutrients. you are overfeeding and/or not removing nutrients as fast as you should. i would cut down to feeding every 2nd or 3rd day and up water changes.

could also rinse of any frozen food with RO water if thats what you are feeding that, but i agree feed less and do more waterchanges

Back
Top Bottom