Is this appropriate water for "topping off"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have seen posts and read elsewhere about topping off evaporative loss with reverse osmosis water or distilled water so that parameters such as hardness remain consistent. I plan to open the top of my tank up to accommodate new LED lighting, so I am assuming that evaporative loss is about to become more of an issue.

At my office, we have what I believe to be a RO faucet for drinking water. However, there are other filters on the water filtration system that make me unsure if this is simply an RO system or something more. Essentially, I wanted to know if this water would be appropriate for topping off in my aquarium? And if this is a good idea?

Attached is a picture of the system for all of you water experts

edit: sorry about the upside down attachment. The bottles say the following:
red - sediment filter
yellow - pre carbon filter
green - RO membrane
blue - post carbon filter

Attachments

• 20140314_154606.jpg
    20140314_154606.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Overkill, topping off with ro / di water is WAY more important for salt water than it is for fresh. Assuming you do regular tank maintenance including water changes then there is no reason not to use straight tap water.

Thank you. I don't want to go through the trouble if it is not necessary. For my information, is this a standard reverse osmosis system?

Also, I have heard of people using half RO and half tap water. Is this simply a trick to reduce hardness or does it also affect other parameters like pH?

If you are simply toppin off your tank there's no reason to do anything other than tap water! It would just take way to much time and not really be any better. The water coming out of my tap is pretty decent water so even if I do a 50 percent water change I refill straight from the tap!

With open top tanks you can have a lot of evaporation depending on the rooms condition. My 220g loses 2 gallons of water daily and depending on the season (heating or a/c), running the ceiling fans, and other factors can increase that loss. Honestly I got into using RO water for all FW top offs in the late 80's. IMO it's more important in smaller tanks where parameters can be changed quite easily. The water from that unit is fine for top offs and since you have it available I'd use it. If it's chilled you will need to let it warm up to room temp.

It is not chilled. If i did decide to do it, would it need to be dechlorinated with Prime or is it tank ready

It is not chilled. If i did decide to do it, would it need to be dechlorinated with Prime or is it tank ready

No need to declorinated it. You can use RO water right from the jug which is nice for top ups.

If your using it for top offs, then no. The reason for using plain RO for top offs is so your not adding more minerals back in since evaporation of tank water is just water that leaves it minerals behind.

If it is going to be the sole source of water period then you will have to remineralize the WC RO before adding back to the tank.

I top off my tank with straight tap water, I'm on a well and my tap water has a low PH and it comes out the tap at 60F

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom