Is this bad? Unidentified growth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-470264051.jpg

What exactly is this? I know the green parts are algae but there are little brownish/white hairs growing on this rock and on the back of my tank.. It blows off when i use a pipet on it. My
Nitrates arent in the worst shape in the world i know its not perfect, could that be the problem?
Ammonia is zero
Ph 8.1
Gravity 1.024
Phosphate zero..
I dont get it. Not sure exact measurement of nitrate at the moment

Jacobsal91 said:
What exactly is this? I know the green parts are algae but there are little brownish/white hairs growing on this rock and on the back of my tank.. It blows off when i use a pipet on it. My
Nitrates arent in the worst shape in the world i know its not perfect, could that be the problem?
Ammonia is zero
Ph 8.1
Gravity 1.024
Phosphate zero..
I dont get it. Not sure exact measurement of nitrate at the moment

Looks like hair algae. Scrubbing and siphining it off along with getting control of your nitrates and phosphates. Dont be fooled by a 0 phosphate reading. The phosphate is consumed by the algae.

Hmm thats really good to know. I JUST did a waterchange yesterday so ill just scrub away and see what happens within the next few days

Jacobsal91 said:
Hmm thats really good to know. I JUST did a waterchange yesterday so ill just scrub away and see what happens within the next few days

Dont expect changes in a few days. More like weeks before you see the problem start to go away, unless something is feeding it.

You use tap or Ro/di? I would test your starting water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate. Any reading besides 0 is not acceptable.

Yeah phosphate is zero, nirtate is present but not high, i dont want to do too many
Water changes i just dod one yesterday. I use RO water

Jacobsal91 said:
Yeah phosphate is zero, nirtate is present but not high, i dont want to do too many
Water changes i just dod one yesterday. I use RO water

Once a week is fine, just continue weekly water changes and siphon/scrub the algae, clean your filters, siphon sand bed etc. and your problem should start to go away. It will take time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom