Is this behavior normal for bolivian rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
LFS ordered me some more Bolivian rams since I'm wanting to breed them. I got 3 yesterday, and two of the three new ones are sitting on the bottom of the tank. I can tell for sure one is female by the gonopodium (i got lucky and could for sure its female, it's sits the most on the bottom hiding behind plants. The other two sit along the bottom as well, they venture out more than the female. The one that I had left that's been in my tank for a while is chasing all my new ones. I even did a minor re arrange of plants and decor. Any advice? I added them to the tank last night around 7pm.

Anyone?! I'm really worried about her, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Maybe the new ones you added are just a little timid? The one you had for longer is probably making sure they know who's tank it is.

Could just be a territory thing.

Maybe the new ones you added are just a little timid? The one you had for longer is probably making sure they know who's tank it is.

Could just be a territory thing.

The other ones are slowly venturing out, it's just the female sits on the bottom a lot and none of my rams have done that, just worries me. I have other tanks I can't put her in if someone thinks I should separate her for a little while if needed.

Getting her out an into a less stressful environment might not be a bad idea. Sorry I can't be more help.

Is she the only female? The old one is chasing because it sees the tank as it's tank. And re-arranging only works when the offending fish is removed from the tank before re-arranging then put back in so it thinks it's in a new tank with no set territory yet. Bolivians can be timid at first especially if it's stressed. What matters is that she is eating.. if she isn't then you might have a problem. Also if you have 3 males and 1 female you are going to have issues. I'm sure she'll eventually accept on male and then the war will really be on. Male vs male, pair vs males. If you wanted multiples you could have done 2 females to 1 males but still issues can happen. You really just need to watch things carefully and take action if needed.

Is she the only female? The old one is chasing because it sees the tank as it's tank. And re-arranging only works when the offending fish is removed from the tank before re-arranging then put back in so it thinks it's in a new tank with no set territory yet. Bolivians can be timid at first especially if it's stressed. What matters is that she is eating.. if she isn't then you might have a problem. Also if you have 3 males and 1 female you are going to have issues. I'm sure she'll eventually accept on male and then the war will really be on. Male vs male, pair vs males. If you wanted multiples you could have done 2 females to 1 males but still issues can happen. You really just need to watch things carefully and take action if needed.

The one that is chasing is female as well, so it's
Actually 2 females and 2 males. She is eating. I do have another 30g I can put some in it needed.

How big is the tank? You'd probably do best to only put one pair per tank especially if you want them to breed.

How big is the tank? You'd probably do best to only put one pair per tank especially if you want them to breed.

It's a 30g. None of them had paired up yet that I can tell, they all stay pretty well to themself.

I still suggest just picking pairs and giving them their own tanks. I just don't think having 4 singles in a 30g is a good idea. I have 8 in a 220g heavily planted and have to watch. I've seriously been considering going down to 4 Rams in the 220g.

Back
Top Bottom