Is this Driftwood safe? Also cycling questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravynnm

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let me start off by saying i've created several threads and wish i could delete. Just thought i should put my problems in this one post.

On the 8th i started cycling my 30G - used fish food and the ammonia went up along with nitrites. Added filter media on the 15th then nitrites were decreasing and ammonia was increasing.

Cycled stalled. The past few days i've been trying to lower it and i have it at a good 0.5ppm. I added an anubias, brand new airstone, florescent light and will be getting pool filter sand. I also just picked up bog wood from a stream today. Not sure of the kind or if it's safe. Let me know if it is or not.

u4v9w.jpg

I also searched everywhere for pure ammonia and i cannot find it. There is one last place i can check and that is an autopart shop. If they don't have it, what am i even going to do?

** side note: i'll be having 6 male cherry barbs, 6 zebra danios, and 2 bristlenose plecos.

If it was me I wouldn't use it. It looks like it would break down. Try slamming it against the ground and see what happens. Also your gonna wanna boil it. I'd say pass on that and keep looking. Of course this is just my own opinion.

That probably won't work. It looks like it is rotting. It doesn't have any personality either, it just a straight piece haha

Ebay is your friends....I bought from there and some are very cheap and safe for aquarium.

Send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out. (y)

I'd never do that. I would do a silent cycle but i can't go paying $8 a plant and get a ton.

Ill find a way, i guess

How about adding fish food if your in no rush. Or... Can you get some established media from a friends tank?

EDIT:

All my tanks were fish in cycles. Everything made it. Just have to be diligent with testing and water changes.

I put in a sponge of filter media from my 20G and that tank has been running for 4 years.. put it in on the 15th.... Ill put some fish food in a piece of nylon drop it into the tank....

Send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out. (y)

If you are considering sending him some pure ammonia, then don't. That stuff is used to make bombs, and if you are caught then you'll see a SWAT team at your door the next morning.

Cant find ammonia anywhere.. How am I supposed to cycle it now?

I've been looking for it as well. I do have an ace hardware nearby...hopefully I won't be paying an arm and a leg for a gallon; I won't need much of it.
There may be others but the only ammonia source I have seen online is Dr. Tim's ammonium hydrochloride. Comes in various sizes from a few dollars on up. Used exclusively for fishless cycling. Google it.

Is ACE Hardware called MACINTYRE ACE HARDWARE LTD?

If so, i went on google maps and found one 41 mins away from me. :dance:

I can't go throughout the week but i can on the weekend and until then i'll use fish food.

I am SOOOO excited! :ROFLMAO:

If you are considering sending him some pure ammonia, then don't. That stuff is used to make bombs, and if you are caught then you'll see a SWAT team at your door the next morning.

I just don't send without asking & why I asked him to PM'ed me... I will ask the UPS/USPS/Fed ex on this matter, but on his end he will have to check if they will let it in either way since he is on the other side of the pond.

Is ACE Hardware called MACINTYRE ACE HARDWARE LTD?

If so, i went on google maps and found one 41 mins away from me. :dance:

I can't go throughout the week but i can on the weekend and until then i'll use fish food.

I am SOOOO excited! :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if they are the same. Either way, give them a call and see if they have ammonia with no surfactants, perfumes, and other stuff.

Otherwise, try Dr. Tim's online.

Not that it cant be done, but how much is does it cost at the end. $$$$ Call your Ace's, like we spoke and see if they have it and to read what is on the bottle to make sure you have the right one. If not, the best next things is the Dr.Tim like Fresh2o said. Or you are just gonna have to do what Convict2161 said and do the fishIN" cycle. Good luck and keep us posted.

Transporting Dangerous Goods

Hazardous materials regulations apply to both shipping carriers and to their clients. If you ship dangerous goods, you should become familiar with the regulations and procedures for shipment preparation. Careless preparation and non-compliance with these rules can end up in hefty fines for everyone involved. FedEx offers services for transportation of dangerous goods through FedEx Express. Because FedEx is a world leader in transporting dangerous goods, FedEx: Shipping, Logistics Management and Supply Chain Management has a wealth of information to help you prepare your shipment properly.

What goods are dangerous?
Hazardous materials, also known as "Hazmat," are regulated by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). They consider dangerous goods to be any matter that poses objectionable risk to health, safety and property while in transport or commerce. Determine if your shipment is any of the following:

Flammable
Combustible
Explosive
Corrosive
Poisonous
Infectious
Oxidizing
Radioactive
Compressed gas
Raw chemicals or commercial chemical compounds (acids, ammonia, butane, and chlorine)

Most dangerous raw materials are fairly obvious, but some "finished" items should also be watched for: aerosol sprays, airbags, ammunition, butane, car batteries, cologne, dry ice, fireworks, gasoline, jet fuel, lighters, matches, nail polish, nail polish remover, nitrogen, refrigerated liquid, paint and perfume.

Procedures for proper shipping
Once you determine that the material or finished product that you are shipping is a dangerous good, follow these steps as you prepare for shipment:

Identify and classify. Identify the dangerous good and the classification category it belongs to.
Package. Package the product to comply with the applicable federal regulations.
Mark and label. Mark and label the package in accordance with the requirements in the federal regulations.
Complete documentation. Complete the required documents that will accompany your shipment.
Inquire. If you are unsure whether your shipment classifies as a dangerous good, what packaging is necessary, what marking or labeling is needed or which documents to complete, visit IATA - Dangerous Goods.
Research. For more information on dangerous goods, consult the section "Dangerous Goods Shipping" on FedEx.com. You'll find information on everything from special handling fees that accompany the shipment of dangerous goods, to regulatory updates on Dangerous Goods regulations.

If you vigilantly follow the procedures for shipment preparation, you will stand in good stead with international regulations for the transportation of dangerous goods.

I highly advise NOT sending ammonia via USPS its illegal. I have a friend in the United States Postal Police service, just got off the phone with him and he said you cannot do it. It will get picked up in customs and someone will have to answer some questions. He advisedly that UPS, Fed Ex or DHL may allow it, reason for this is USPS uses commercial airlines to ship, the others have there own planes so there less strict.

Also depending on the amount, that can be an issues also.

Just figured I'd pass the info along as I didn't know the answer and with the terrorist alert in Canada right now I didn't wanna see anyone get jammed up over helping someone with there fish tank.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

This is where i found the store, right off the ACE hardware Canada site.

Oh and yes, i just saw the alert on the news...

Back
Top Bottom