Is this ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotRoastMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On thursday I got 5 cerdinal tetras, a hi fin swordtail, and a tiger pleco from LiveAquaria. Yesterday I noticed the teras have white spots on them, I think it must be ich. this is a 29 gallon tank and I also have 2 giant danios who were in the tank to begin with.

I've turned the heat up, I'm at 81 now. I am wondering how high I should put it. What is the max safe temp for the tiger pleco? Should I add salt? Do I need to use meds or can I get away with not?

You could go to 82 but that's about it. I wouldn't add salt since you have a pleco in there. Last time I had ich, I just used the heat temp when I had it and all was well after 1-2 weeks.

Definetly ich, and you shouldn't add salt since your pleco has no scales i believe.

I have used the heat and salt treatment successfully with many fish including plecos. Some plecos are very intolerate of salt, so research your pleco and see if it can handle salt. Being the temp up to 86F and once the last ich spot is gone, leave the temp up for an additional two weeks. I have used this and assure you it works. There is an article in the Articles section on FW ich~check it out for more info.

Now I've got more problems. Not only am I fighting Ich but now my danios decided they like to eat tetras. I thought these are peaceful fish?? Out of my 5 tetras I have 2 left. I originally got the danios to cycle the tank with, now they're just annoying. Do you think a pet store would take them back?

Oh dear!! Well, fish will eat whatever they can get in their mouths. Try to return them, or just give them to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom