Is this normal for a hob filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed today that my hob filter is also pouring water out of the right side (the side where the intake is). its not coming out of the intake(or the hole it goes into), just overflow from the back of the box, but its constant. is this ok for water to be coming out of both sides?

34y4hl4.jpg

:thanks:

This happens to me when the filter pads are clogged/gunk is built up and not enough water can get out so it overflows and exits through the other side, maybe you can give them a rinse in tank water?

Although from the picture it doesn't look they're dirty.

No, this isnt normal. Fortunately the filter is molded so it channels the water back to the tank instead of the floor.

As stated above, this usually happens when the filters are clogged. I dont see any discoloration on either pad, so I assume either the filter pads or the whole assembly is new.

I would check the housing that holds the impeller and make sure it is fully seated. This filter looks like the one I have on my shrimp tank. If it is, you can remove the intake tube, then pull the entire housing the tube was connected to straight up and out of the housing. (Be careful not to break the impeller) The impeller should come up with it.

Make sure there is no gunk or anything from the factory (sytrofoam bits, plastic residue, etc.) in the channel that feeds to the filters, then reseat the housing and make sure it goes all the way down. The shaft of the impeller has a rubber piece on the end that seats into a small holder at the bottom of the filter housing and another at the top where it contacts the housing. If the impeller is not aligned correctly it could cause the housing not to seat properly and the water would not be fully channeled where it should be.

That SHOULD take care of your issue. If not, something is blocking the water from going to the filter pads and you will need to find the culprit and remove it.

Good luck!

Thank you I will try this when I get home tonight and post the results. The entire unit is brand new so it's not a mater of dirty filters. Hopefully it's just something easily fixable like you said.

Adina said:
Thank you I will try this when I get home tonight and post the results. The entire unit is brand new so it's not a mater of dirty filters. Hopefully it's just something easily fixable like you said.

If this is an aqua tech filter every single one I had did this I had about 7 in total brand new and they all did this

I have one to, running it as a spare. I finally got tired of it overflowing out the other side and only using the one filter cartridge. The course sponge isn't very good and seemed to block the flow.

I have a filter just like that and it runs fine, no problems. The overflowing like that isn't normal though. My other hob filter did that. It usually means its clogged or something.

Aces11 said:
I have a filter just like that and it runs fine, no problems. The overflowing like that isn't normal though. My other hob filter did that. It usually means its clogged or something.
All mine overflowed out of the box so they were not clogged

ryan-peddle said:
All mine overflowed out of the box so they were not clogged

That's odd. I only had this issue with my old hob filter. It used to never do it unless it was clogged, bit then it did it all the time and I just replaced it with an AC filter today and it also works fine. My aquatech filter doesn't overflow either.

its an aqua-tech 5-15 filter. still dont have any fish so its a clean filter. but i did notice once i lift the blue carbon filter up the water doesnt overflow. so maby its not letting the water flow through the blue filter? like its too think or something. one day ill probably replace the filter but i would rather not have to anytime too soon. if its flowing out of both sides is the water even getting properly filtered?

Adina said:
its an aqua-tech 5-15 filter. still dont have any fish so its a clean filter. but i did notice once i lift the blue carbon filter up the water doesnt overflow. so maby its not letting the water flow through the blue filter? like its too think or something. one day ill probably replace the filter but i would rather not have to anytime too soon. if its flowing out of both sides is the water even getting properly filtered?

Ohh, that's happened to me with a brand new carbon filter cartridge too, the carbon, if to big doesn't let water flow through fast enough. It's basically the same thing as if it was full of gunk. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

hmm. so i could probably just replace the carbon filter and it should be fine? do you think i should try to rinse it out under some water and maybe that will move some carbon around? (i haven't started cycling yet so there's no worry about losing any beneficial bacteria) if i should just replace the filter what do you suggest i replace it with? just another carbon filter?

Adina said:
hmm. so i could probably just replace the carbon filter and it should be fine? do you think i should try to rinse it out under some water and maybe that will move some carbon around? (i haven't started cycling yet so there's no worry about losing any beneficial bacteria) if i should just replace the filter what do you suggest i replace it with? just another carbon filter?

The carbon is pretty much useless anyway I don't run it in any of my tanks I would throw out the carbon and put a bag of bio max instead or ceramic rings they won't slow the flow down any and are much more beneficial

You can also cut an "x" in the pad and remove some or all of the carbon. Carbon only last for a few weeks, and you can use the same cartridge until it falls apart, just rinse it in tank water to clean when doing a water change. :)

I had a tetra whisper filter that did this straight out of the box, brand new. It was horrible. I have two aqua-tech HOB filters that came with my 5 gallon tanks and they do NOT do this. I have since learned that these are both made by tetra (basically the same design). I guess it is hit or miss, and you could always contact the manufacturer, but from now on I am sticking with Hagan filters.

Yeah you could do what others have suggested.

I'd remove that and add in a sponge & biomax. Maybe some poly-fill.

Good thing you haven't started cycling, I like you researched the problem ! Since when you remove the carbon cartridge it flows freely it is not a filter defect.

tge?
and also should i replace the white filter? nothing is wrong with it and it allows the water to flow through but would i need a filter that would filter out finer particles? (i will also be getting a pre-filter to put over the intake because i plan on getting some cherry shrimp)

Back
Top Bottom