Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonColle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My male has been pretty aggressive since I put the once holding female back in my main tank. He keeps them in the corner most of the time unless I walk by or while feeding. What can I do to spread the aggression out? I have 1 dominate male, 2 not dominate at all males, and 2 females. There is also a juvi about 1.25 inches that hangs out in the bottom away from all of them. I plan on selling the 2. On dominate males soon and have a tank full of fry to get some more females.IMG_4243.jpg

I don't do Africans but I thought you are supposed to stock females like 5:1 in a mixed sex tank???
Answering your question, yes it's normal, dominant male will keep them there until they die.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm working on the stocking issue. Just don't want to get something from the fish store to fix it. I'm probably gonna get some females from the guy I got these from. Do some trading.

What species are your Cichlids? I could guess from the pic, but I would probably get it wrong. Some cichlids do require a 5:1 ratio, but as many more do well in lesser ratios, or even as a pair. I think he's probably trying to keep them separate from the other males, and Brookster is likely also correct: he may well keep them there until he kills them.

What species are your Cichlids? I could guess from the pic, but I would probably get it wrong. Some cichlids do require a 5:1 ratio, but as many more do well in lesser ratios, or even as a pair. I think he's probably trying to keep them separate from the other males, and Brookster is likely also correct: he may well keep them there until he kills them.

Eureka red peacock

Back
Top Bottom