Is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 1g Super Betta Tank plus by Ocean Free at Petco that is made of glass. I was wondering if it was possible to remove the back glass panel and instead use an acrylic black piece of the same size without having any adverse effects... I would like to have holes in the back to drain water out into a sump type container where all the equipment will be kept for the 1g tank. Yes, I know it is alot of work to bother doing and I can just use a regular filter, but sometimes I like doing custom work to my tanks. It's a challenge. But I wonder how do I seal the acrylic to the glass and be leak free or so it doesn't burst one day. The glass is 3/16".

Any thoughts other than don't? hehe

Its very possible to drill a hole in glass.. ive seen threads in the cichlid form were people were using a dremel to drill into glass, using water to cool the bit.. Im assuming that its not temped glass..
And there is no good way of bonding glass and acrylic..sorry for the bad news..

Hello Mothi,

Just out of curiosity, why on earth do you want a sump for a 1 gallon tank?

As for the black back, why not use black paper or plastic and attatch it to the back of the aquarium one way or another to achieve the same effect without having to replace the glass?

HTH

Joe

you can paint the back as well..it would be good to have more water in the system even if the tank itself is only 1 gallon..

Back
Top Bottom