Is this power head enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I would like to ask whether is a powerhead that pump 2000 litres per hour provide enough currents for a 13 gallon ( around 50++ litres ) tank?

500+ GPH on a 13 gal tank would be deadly, not to mention an unneccessary cost... Instead I would suggest a smaller PH with less output. Either 2x Maji-Jet 400's or a single Maji-Jet 600 depending on space and what else is moving water in the tank should do fine...

Cheers
Steve

whyya say it would be deadly ?!?!? mabe if it was pointing right at a coral !! but if ya had it hitting the wall and or along the back of the rocks i dont feel 500 ghp would be a bad thing !! i read that a guy was doing 2000 gph in a 20 gallon tank !! unless the fish are plastered to the side imo your fine !!! and i would bet that dropping down to smaller ph your gonna have a few dead spots were ya wouldnt with more flow !!
just my thoughts though !!

Given the size of the tank and that much flow from one source, I am fairly sure it will end up naily the fish to the glass wall or having a whirlpool effect. If the total flow was broken up and applied varyingly about the tank it might be possible but personally I would not have that much flow in a tank that size. The more flow the better yes, but within reason...

2000 GPH on a 20 gal tank :?: I would love to see that. 8O

Cheers
Steve

mmmm cycling the entirety of the tanks water 100 times an hour or 1.667 times a MINUTE sounds extreme to me. guess im just not keeping fish that like to swim up rapids or waterfalls... mmm salmon... 8O

There are two principles that are at odds here.

Total flow of a tank at such high levels can be ok IF its done properly. If its done inproperly then it becomes just a fast jet of water. What we are trying to simulate is the random currents of the ocean reef. In the reef the turnover rate is very high and the currents move quickly. For the most part this current is not in the form of a narrow jet stream but is distrabuted over a volume of water.

Instead of 1 huge pump having two or more smaller pumps with the total flow equiling that of the huge pump would be a better design. This way you can postion the powerheads to have their output at opposition to eachother or to blow into a wall of the tank creating random currents within the tank.

or one big pump spilt into 4 returns would work as well !!
but after diving in cozumel and the current was pulling us soooo fast we shot past the pick up boat by over 1/2 mile i know that high flow is important for many reason !! even setting a rio 2500 right into a tank watching all fish, they love swimming right into the jet stream with very very little effort ! which ive always wondered how much flow it would take for lets say a trigger to not be able to keep up ??? and my point basically is that i feel most people have mabe 1/4 the water flow they could or should have in their tanks !! my 90 i use a mag 24 inline with a little giant as my main return and a mag 9.5 as another return and three maxi-jets 1200 in the main tank as well !! but feel i could still us more flow !! do i need more flow prob not but i like the movement and so do the fishs !!

Back
Top Bottom