Is this star safe???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amosora

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend told me that he will tear my rock & corals. Is it true? Anyways what kind of sea urchin is he? Thanks

Attachments

• image-3497615200.jpg
    image-3497615200.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 383
That's a preist hat urchin. Also known as Tuxedo urchin. Most places say that it is reef safe with caution. They usually are herbivores, and feed on algae and coralline, but if the food they normally eat runs out, they could move on to meatier foods, such as soft tissue of your coral. So beware.

I would always keep some nori seaweed stocked for that urchin if algae in your tank runs out.

Oh no... I won't take chances i will put him in the subtank. Or in the overflow box hahaha

Royal urchin is also another common name of the priest hat/pincushion/tuxedo urchin.

:) now he's all of the above. Back to the question. Is he reef safe. I have a lot of zoa/zoas frag are the safe? The urchins were in my overflow tank. But i like to put them back in the main tank coz of the brown particles in my sand (detr???or something, i don't remember what it was called)

Attachments

• image-2052516456.jpg
    image-2052516456.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 182
  • image-4074158694.jpg
    image-4074158694.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 162
it should be fine in your tank, but there is definitely not enough food for it in the overflow. my suggestion would be to put it back or return it to the store.

Back
Top Bottom