Is truly true that fish grow to the size of the aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynae

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is isn't related to me and my fishkeeping, but I keep hearing that a fish will grow to the size of the aquarium. I want to know based on experience or fact from you intelligent folk, whether its true that a fish will grow larger, in a larger tank.
I know for sure it can't be vice versa, a fish will always outgrow a small tank.
thank you for taking time to answer!

fish release a hormone (GH hormone) that will stunt their growth if large traces are left in the water. so this can be true. however even if in a small tank, constant WC will remove that hormone and cause the fish to continue to grow, this is a common practice for grow out tanks for fry.

whatever the case. stunting the growth of a fish (be it on purpose or not) is a cruel practice, and should be avoided at all cost.

large fish will grow large because that is what large fish do. Pacu, Plecos, grow large.

but your guppy will not turn into a shark because it is in a big tank...

Yes that is right. If you have a fish that will grow and you put them in a small tank, it won't grow that much. The best way is to have a big tank if you know that it will grow much bigger.

Most of the time i tend to underestimate the lives of fish, cause the cliche of it is that they die pretty quickly and you flush em in the toilet(to be more specific, goldfishes )

But i do believe this in a certain extent, but if it's fact that the certain fish
you have will truly grow, then its fact. ><

Its fact that a fish that is a large species will grow large, genetics cant be altered that drastically in a single life cycle.

Back
Top Bottom