Is ventilation necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiamCH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My second hand tank came without a lid, and after a bit of searching I've managed to find a clear plastic condesation tray that fits it almost perfectly. The thing is though, apart from a miniscule gap for the cables and four small air holes I made, it doesn't really allow much air into the tank. Would that be a problem? I don't want to go and bodge loads of holes in it if I don't have to, as that will let more condensation into my room, but obviously I want there to be enough oxygen in the tank.

What would you reckon I should do? I haven't got an air pump yet by the way (which shouldn't be a problem as I don't yet have fish!) but I'll be getting one soon.

It really depends on how tightly the top fits and what kind of filtration you're using. A HOB filter works well with a tightly sealed top because the HOB agitates the water a lot. A canister with a tightly sealed top isn't so great because the canister is a sealed system and doesn't allow much gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom