It happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz

Aquarium Advice Addict
The Kribs eggs (that I couldn't find) Hatched (well a good chunk of them). The Parents are quite diligent in protecting them.

First time I've had any babies in my tank..

KribBabies.jpg

Congratulations and good luck.

BTW I think this needs to be moved to the "Breeding" section.

I'm thinking there are about 20.

Sorry, I tend not to stray to far from the planted forum (might end up in a salty section and I know that will hurt my wallet.. I sort of reserve breeding section for people who are having problems, or have questions..

Congrats.......makes me want to get some kribs again.
It's been years since I had a breeding pair.

Congratulations! It's been a long time here as well since I've had babies of any kind in my tanks. Looks very cool, maybe it's time... :)

They seem to be very good parents, Never leaving the babies, they even managed to protect the eggs from 5 clown loaches a kuhli loach and all the Tetras that are in the tank.

They didn't use the pot that I put in there, They didn't use any cave that I made for them, instead they found a cave I didn't know about in the driftwood (pretty deep too..), But as soon as they hatched, they were moved by the parents to the plants. Limn. Sessliflora seems to be their favorite cover (dense), tho I see them all at the root base of the crypts and in the Val (no doubt eating the collected stuff that's at the base of the plants).

I'll have to wait a little bit before I take care of the mild GW that started up (fed frozen Brine shrimp and it seems to have triggered it..) Shrug.. Probably good to have it for the time being.. nice algae buffet in the water for tiny mouths. In about a week or so when they're a bit bigger I'll try and clear it up.

Well, every night there were less and less, Now both parents can't find any. Pretty sure the loaches are at fault since they are nocturnal.. But they will be going to the LFS anyway.. they are too destructive in a planted tank (they like to dig up roots).. Hopefully the parents will try again at some point in the future..

Sorry to hear that Wizz, I had considered that when I first read your thread and thought "geez, breeding in a community tank with all those predators...what a miracle."

You shouldn't worry, the parents will be anxious to spawn again. :)

I hope you are right as both parent have beautiful colouring.. I'll be yanking the loaches out this weekend.. Probably trade them for some other fish, not too keen on GBR's. they seem to be too fragile.

What other fish are relatively safe? I use the word relatively since any fish but the parents will eat the babies, but, I assume non-nocturnal would be best. (Apistos alright?)

Well, isn't this just fantastic. I thought the 2 parents were ignoring each other, but they are protecting the 3 babies I didn't see yesterday.. So there are still 3 (and they aren't transparent anymore)...

Very resiliant fish.

They are at the back of the tank in the Val (pretty dense area).. I'll keep an eye out for a good picture. With the GW (it's dissipating now) it's hard to get a shot without confusing them with UFO's or bigfoot..

I couldn't see any today. Took the clown loaches into the store for credit..

The Female is already showing off for the male. Didn't take her long. But she still seems to be defending something.. not sure what. She was chasing the SAE all over the place, must just be a sport for her.. (The clowns were terrorized since they kept approaching the babies..)

I'll have to keep an eye out now.

A single surviving Baby..

If you look close, you can see a Yeti walking out from behind the Val. (sorry, it's 2' to the back of the tank and too many things for the camera to focus on.

KribBaby.jpg

Back
Top Bottom