It's 3am. Losing sleep, fish is very sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddy.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For the past couple days, my GBR has been very bloated, gasping for air, and not eating at all. Usually, he gobbles up all the flake food at the top of the tank and the little bits that sink to the bottom AND the treats that I throw in. But lately he hasn't been eating at all, won't even swim up to his treats, completely not interested. He's been listless, hanging out at the bottom or right at the very top, but he's upright. My dad doesn't think anything is wrong, maybe "he" is actually a female with eggs. But I have a bad feeling something is wrong. Everyone else in the tank is alright, cories and otos are eating like there's no tomorrow.

I know it might be the "d-word" and I'm scared. More often than not, posts with the "d-word" end with bad news. He's my favourite little guy in both my tanks. He's sick probably because of me, I give him more treats cause he's my favourite, I might have overfed him. I've been changing the water 40% every day, so water is good, and I've upped the temp to 82F. Is this right?? What else can I do?? Please offer any advice or experience.

I don't name my fish but I've given him a name, just in case, I wouldn't want him to go nameless. He's seriously such a sweet little guy. I'm just about to set up a new planted tank just for him. I already bought a new tank and new T5 lights, I'm just waiting for the flourite to came in the mail. It's just because I like him so much and I know GBRs enjoy well-planted tanks. ='(
I'll go pick up epsom salt in the morning, all I have now is Rid-Ich Plus (will it help?)

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 113
He could have just ate too much? He doesn't look like he has ich or any external diseases so that ich med you have probably won't do anything. Before meds i'd try a cooked deshelled pea to see if he's constipated if you are able to get him to eat it. If not, then i'd go the route that was suggested.

I hope your little guy pulls through!

I agree with both suggested options. Though, if he isnt eating anything you normally give him i dont know if hell try anything new like a pea. Is a good option though. While following these options though, i would try to cut down on his diet, give him regular feedings. Over feeding can lead to other different problems. I hope this isnt the "d word". Please keep us posted!

Thank you, thank you for all the advice.
He may have overeaten but he hasn't eaten in days and he's gasping, gulping constantly. He's very bloated.
I've gone out to get Maracyn 2, an antibiotic, will this be effective? Should I leave the temp up? Walmart was out of epsom salt today, but when I get it tomorrow, can I mix that with the Maracyn medication?

The temperature should be at normal levels. Higher heat treats ich but wont help in other cases and may cause more stress. Poor little guy looks quite ill :( hope he gets better

82 is actually preferred by rams, I would leave it. Try giving him some cooked de-shelled pea with some garlic.

I didnt read the temp and just read 'should i keep the temp up' ill read through the thread before posting in future.

Thank you, thank you for all the advice.
He may have overeaten but he hasn't eaten in days and he's gasping, gulping constantly. He's very bloated.
I've gone out to get Maracyn 2, an antibiotic, will this be effective? Should I leave the temp up? Walmart was out of epsom salt today, but when I get it tomorrow, can I mix that with the Maracyn medication?

I highly doubt but it is a possibility that Maracyn2 will do anything. Higher temps will speed up the digestive Trac in all fish so yes I'd leave it at 82 or a couple degrees higher. The Epson salt could maybe work if you can get it to eat it otherwise I don't think that's going to have an effect at all. What people recommend is putting Epson salt into a pea if he will eat it.

Mardel does carry a med that contains the stuff I said above but I'm not sure if any stores near you will carry it. Its called clout and here is a link http://www.petmountain.com/product/...gle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-503570

Last edited:
I've never heard of having fish eat Epsom salt. IMO, that sounds particularly dangerous. Epsom salts are supposed to be fully dissolved in water before being introduced to the fish. It's supposed to help relax the fish and works as a laxative.

I've never heard of having fish eat Epsom salt. IMO, that sounds particularly dangerous. Epsom salts are supposed to be fully dissolved in water before being introduced to the fish. It's supposed to help relax the fish and works as a laxative.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/healthdisease/119-fish-bloat.html

When all else fails this is what you do, bottom link. The top link even says that as the last option in the above article. IMO I wouldn't screw around and just jump to the last thing because of the "D" word

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

Last edited:

Ingestion of Epsom salt cures a variety of digestive and parasitic issues such as Hexamita, spironucleus vortens sp, and other flagellated protozoan without any medications required, simply soak in a 3% Epsom salt solution and feed.

To the original poster your already aware of the diagnosis and crappy as it is, I'd remove the fish and try Epsom salt baths at least twice daily. Remove the fish add 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon of tank water(don't put this back into the tank), let the fish swim in the solution for a half hour then repeat 2-3 times per day. There are many that recommend baths with methylene blue and Kannaplex but in my experience this doesn't work well(sort of like a hail marry pass).

Last edited:
I highly doubt but it is a possibility that Maracyn2 will do anything. Higher temps will speed up the digestive Trac in all fish so yes I'd leave it at 82 or a couple degrees higher. The Epson salt could maybe work if you can get it to eat it otherwise I don't think that's going to have an effect at all. What people recommend is putting Epson salt into a pea if he will eat it.

Mardel does carry a med that contains the stuff I said above but I'm not sure if any stores near you will carry it. Its called clout and here is a link Mardel Clout Parasite Medication External Parasite Aquarium Medications
Thanks a bunches to everyone contributing. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help.

Thanks for all the highly informative links, andrew. I started the maracyn before I read your post. From the treatment options I read online, it said Maracyn 2 is an antibiotic so I thought that was right and then somewhere else said that Epsom salts wont do anything if the cause is bacterial. Which is why I went with Maracyn 2, on the packaging, it says it treats "d" but I take that lightly as most aquarists can agree that this disease results in a limited chance of recovery. In any case, I'll head out to grab some clout from the fish store. I went to the link you posted about the powder but I'm in Canada and it could take weeks for packages to make it through customs. But I'll look for products at the LFS with the same active ingredients. Question, if I get a hold of Clout, would it okay to stop the Maracyn treatment or do you have to go through with the full 5 day treatment?

Fish Bloat, Diagnoses and Treatment

When all else fails this is what you do, bottom link. The top link even says that as the last option in the above article. IMO I wouldn't screw around and just jump to the last thing because of the "D" word

Malawi Bloat

Aw man, when I read this, I thought the links would say to euthanize your fish. So, alright, I can use the antibiotics with Epsom salt, okay.

I forgot to update that he's in a hospital tank now with the maracyn...well it's not really a tank but a plastic storage tub, that should be okay, right? And do I need to treat the rest of the tank?

I've tried feeding him peas but he won't eat at all.

Aw man, when I read this, I thought the links would say to euthanize your fish. So, alright, I can use the antibiotics with Epsom salt, okay.

I forgot to update that he's in a hospital tank now with the maracyn...well it's not really a tank but a plastic storage tub, that should be okay, right? And do I need to treat the rest of the tank?

I've tried feeding him peas but he won't eat at all.
You don't need to treat the rest of the tank. The tub is fine its actually what I use to. I would do the Epson salts as Hukit explained in a post above.

Thanks a bunches to everyone contributing. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help.

Thanks for all the highly informative links, andrew. I started the maracyn before I read your post. From the treatment options I read online, it said Maracyn 2 is an antibiotic so I thought that was right and then somewhere else said that Epsom salts wont do anything if the cause is bacterial. Which is why I went with Maracyn 2, on the packaging, it says it treats "d" but I take that lightly as most aquarists can agree that this disease results in a limited chance of recovery. In any case, I'll head out to grab some clout from the fish store. I went to the link you posted about the powder but I'm in Canada and it could take weeks for packages to make it through customs. But I'll look for products at the LFS with the same active ingredients. Question, if I get a hold of Clout, would it okay to stop the Maracyn treatment or do you have to go through with the full 5 day treatment?

If your going to switch to clout then I'd just do a water change and switch. There is no point on giving a med and finishing it if it will more than likely not do anything, especially if there is something better that you could use.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the great advice. Everyone responded so quickly to my cries for help =) Thank you. Because of that, I got him into the hospital tank and started treatment. Once I got him in the smaller tank, I could get a good look at him from a bird's-eye view and his scales did look a little funky...like disheveled, kinda like Robert Pattinson's hair. So y'all are right, the little guy needed to be treated.
So now, he's in his own "bachelor pad", but I'm sure he misses his roommates. He's still bloated and gulp gulping away. Won't eat. I'm trying to feed him mashed peas and garlic as someone suggested (feel like I'm making baby food for a tiny, tiny baby).

Questions, though.
When I'm giving him epsom salt baths, does moving him back and forth, from tank to tank, stress him out? I'm using a net, I heard that using a cup to scoop them out is better but I don't want the salt water to dilute the medication.
Hospital tanks aren't cycled, does that stress him out as well? I put a bunch of river rocks, the heater, and airstone from the main tank into the hospital tank, hoping that the good bacteria on these items will help the water conditions in the hospital tank but is it necessary?

maddy, I know its extremely hard, but its best you take a deep breath and slow down a bit. just as a sick person, a sick fish needs a steady consistant hand to help cure them. its good to see that you got him on this medication. just try not to keep changing it up on him. itll do more harm than good. as for the cycling, don't worry about that. hes not in the plastic tub long enough for it to do any damage. id personally recommend taking out everything but the airstone and heater. if you want to give him a hiding spot, use a pvc pipe or clay pot. anything else and you run the risk of it absorbing anyh medication you put in.

also make sure you rinse and clean off any display tank equipment you use in the temp tank. itll have meds on it.

Back
Top Bottom