It's been awhile...but I'm back: I have an algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...

Haven't been on in a couple months. Have been way busy...urgh.

Anyways, just to refresh, I have a 75gal planted and everything has been goin pretty well. My old beard algae prob went away simply by NOT doing a water change EVERY week, but every OTHER week. Also, I turned the light time down from 9 hours to 7. And so far? Plants and fish are doing great and the BEARD algae is gone.

Now, I have a question about the tiny algae spores that surround the glass. Now it's not a terrible problem - I can still see through my tank fine, however, I don't want to it become a big prob. I tried wiping down with an algae sponge that I bought from the LFS, but the spores are stuck on their real well. It's extremely hard to scrub them off. Is there any remedy that anyone recommends? Any chemical(preferrably not) treatment? Snails, maybe? I just dont want to come home one day and not be able to look into the tank cause the algae is out of control.

Thanks for any advice!
Bondstreet

I use the magnetic type algae scrapers on my tanks and move them horizontally along the surface so each area gets exposed to the entire pad. It's also easier. Snails will not solve a glass problem on a 75, I don't think they solve it at any size. Not a knock on snails, I find them interesting, just not a solution for algae.

Bondstreet, they call the stuff green spot algae. I hate it too! I know of no particular cure. Scrubbing is the only thing that works for me. Sorry. I have to clean the glass 2x a week minimum, sometimes 3x.

On the other hand, glad you got rid of your other algae problems, they are much worse. :!:

So scraping won't scratch the glass?

I have a sponge, but that seems to not work as expected. The spot aglae is really stuck on there.

Bondstreet

I have one i got at the lfs, its like a plastic brillo pad on a stick. wont scratch glass, but it's NOT for acrylic, it will scratch that. I have a sponge type also, you are correct, it doesn't work. Don't use stuff from the grocery store, it may have chemicals in it.

Back
Top Bottom