It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah the pics helped a lot. I think you can achieve this Zen look your shooting for. Just take it slow and you'll do just fine. You pretty much know what you want so... Just piece it together and start the the scape.

What do you make of the bridge off to the left...is that "off-center" enough so it's not a dead-center centerpiece...or should it come out of that corner more? Do you see what I mean about the bridge not really looking all that "Asian" in nature? It seems like it would be better in a tank themed with castles or something; it has an "old world" look to it that I thought would look wild connecting two giant castle pieces...

But anyway, do you think the bridge could be pulled off by putting the Bonsai trees to the sides of it? These are the ones that caught my eye:

pPETS-8371162dt.jpg

Ever get that light issue figured out?

What you see in the pics is the fluorescent lighting that came stock with the Marineland hoods; I didn't get a chance to look into the LED hoods they make yet...

What do you make of the stock lighting? Do you think it will be alright once a background and more plants go in?

What do you make of the bridge off to the left...is that "off-center" enough so it's not a dead-center centerpiece...or should it come out of that corner more? Do you see what I mean about the bridge not really looking all that "Asian" in nature? It seems like it would be better in a tank themed with castles or something; it has an "old world" look to it that I thought would look wild connecting two giant castle pieces...

But anyway, do you think the bridge could be pulled off by putting the Bonsai trees to the sides of it? These are the ones that caught my eye:

What you see in the pics is the fluorescent lighting that came stock with the Marineland hoods; I didn't get a chance to look into the LED hoods they make yet...

What do you make of the stock lighting? Do you think it will be alright once a background and more plants go in?

I think, keep the bridge were it is. It will tie in once you get those Bonsai tress, I like them and think it make the theme pop. Like I said before get that deep reds in there also that will help with your theme. Also I like the pebbles in the picture.

I understand what your saying a out the bridge but if you add the trees and some red plants maybe even some larger grey pebbles near or around it that it will tie it all together.

Those lights look fine for what your doing. Actually I don't see the dull look we spoke of. It looks from the picture to be a bright white. Once the background is done and more things are added like more green plants, more natural looking plants and the reds I think the light will appear better.

I think, keep the bridge were it is. It will tie in once you get those Bonsai tress, I like them and think it make the theme pop. Like I said before get that deep reds in there also that will help with your theme. Also I like the pebbles in the picture.

Thanks very much; your input -- and, as such, everyone else's so far -- has been massively appreciated and helpful.

So, a Bonzai tree on either side of the bridge, yes? I'll figure out a place to put the other plants in there now (the spiky green short ones and the red/green short ones) once the Bonzais go in...

Which pebbles are you referring to in the pic...you mean those different-colored pebbles in the Petsmart picture they have coming from the bridge?

I understand what your saying a out the bridge but if you add the trees and some red plants maybe even some larger grey pebbles near or around it that it will tie it all together.

You mean to give it (the bridge) more of an Asian flair?

Those lights look fine for what your doing. Actually I don't see the dull look we spoke of. It looks from the picture to be a bright white. Once the background is done and more things are added like more green plants, more natural looking plants and the reds I think the light will appear better.

Funny thing -- since the tank has been running a couple of weeks now, the lamps in these hoods seemed to have "broken in" and indeed changed hues a bit, as you're describing...when I first turn the lights on, there is that offputting kind of slightly "greenish" sickly hue to them...but I have noticed that as some minutes pass, the lights seem to "brighten up" until they're almost a bright white cool fluorescent glow, if that makes sense. I am chalking this up to the fluorescent bulbs kind of "warming up" or "breaking in" as the time passes while they're on; am I in the right ballpark here thinking this?

At any rate, I'd really like to upgrade the lights and hoods to the Marineland LED system down the road if only for those awesomely cool moonlights on the night mode! But for now, do you think I can stick with the fluorescents?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Thanks very much; your input -- and, as such, everyone else's so far -- has been massively appreciated and helpful.

So, a Bonzai tree on either side of the bridge, yes? I'll figure out a place to put the other plants in there now (the spiky green short ones and the red/green short ones) once the Bonzais go in...

Yes on either side will work fine IMO

Which pebbles are you referring to in the pic...you mean those different-colored pebbles in the Petsmart picture they have coming from the bridge?

Yes the ones in the petco pic and they way they have them. It looks nice.

You mean to give it (the bridge) more of an Asian flair?

Exactly!! :)

Funny thing -- since the tank has been running a couple of weeks now, the lamps in these hoods seemed to have "broken in" and indeed changed hues a bit, as you're describing...when I first turn the lights on, there is that offputting kind of slightly "greenish" sickly hue to them...but I have noticed that as some minutes pass, the lights seem to "brighten up" until they're almost a bright white cool fluorescent glow, if that makes sense. I am chalking this up to the fluorescent bulbs kind of "warming up" or "breaking in" as the time passes while they're on; am I in the right ballpark here thinking this?

They could have broken in a bit. I just know what you were talking about when you said "that hospital look" and I don't see it from the picture.

At any rate, I'd really like to upgrade the lights and hoods to the Marineland LED system down the road if only for those awesomely cool moonlights on the night mode! But for now, do you think I can stick with the fluorescents?

The fluorescents seem to look fine IMO but the switch to LED's is gonna be your call and total preference. I happen to love LED's

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I put answers in your quote and your very welcome.

Where do I send the bill? :)

I put answers in your quote and your very welcome.

Gonna reply in kind now; thanks again, my friend...(y)

Where do I send the bill? :)

:lol: You SHOULD charge for your aquascaping/theming input and creativity...;)

Yes on either side will work fine IMO

Well, what I mean is, a tree on EACH side of the bridge...are you in agreement? Further -- do you think taller green and red plants should go directly behind the bridge and into that corner?

Yes the ones in the petco pic and they way they have them. It looks nice.

Okay; but do you think the little "winding garden" we're doing, as seen in my pics, can work as a substitute? Do you like the way it kind of winds away from the gazebo on the right, snaking towards the bridge? We can even have more of the plant pieces going UNDER the bridge if you think that would be effective...

Exactly!! :)

Okay...

Do you see my point, though, about this particular bridge being somewhat more effective for joining, perhaps, two large castle ornament pieces because of its "old world" look?

The fluorescents seem to look fine IMO but the switch to LED's is gonna be your call and total preference. I happen to love LED's

Understood; but does it seem normal that the fluorescent lamps seem to "brighten up" as time goes by?

Gonna reply in kind now; thanks again, my friend...(y)

:lol: You SHOULD charge for your aquascaping/theming input and creativity...;)

Well, what I mean is, a tree on EACH side of the bridge...are you in agreement? Further -- do you think taller green and red plants should go directly behind the bridge and into that corner?

Taller green and red plants will make it pop and IMO really make the theme come together. I wouldn't do a tree on each side. My thinking is....a tree at one end and the bridge leading to nowhere on the other. Done have have each end lead to a tree. One side of the bridge will lead to the unknown. Leave it to the person enjoying your tank to decide where that bridge will lead them. I know a bit out there maybe but just how I feel. It's a bridge. Maybe one side is meant to be open, a cross roads. Zen....

Okay; but do you think the little "winding garden" we're doing, as seen in my pics, can work as a substitute? Do you like the way it kind of winds away from the gazebo on the right, snaking towards the bridge? We can even have more of the plant pieces going UNDER the bridge if you think that would be effective...

I like that idea BUT don't make it so placed or pieced together if that makes sense. It can have structure to a point but not so "built"

Okay...

Do you see my point, though, about this particular bridge being somewhat more effective for joining, perhaps, two large castle ornament pieces because of its "old world" look?

I like bridge and I think it will work just fine once you other items to tie it in. Like the reds and greens from the plants.

Understood; but does it seem normal that the fluorescent lamps seem to "brighten up" as time goes by?

Well... When you turn the lights on in using a t5 or t8 fixture in say a school or office it will flicker or tend to "warm up" so yes it does make sense that it be broken in now. However if your not confident then I'd go with the LED's.

Answers in red (y)

Bills in the mail. I sent you my contract via email :dance:

Well... When you turn the lights on in using a t5 or t8 fixture in say a school or office it will flicker or tend to "warm up" so yes it does make sense that it be broken in now. However if your not confident then I'd go with the LED's.

Answers in red (y)

Bills in the mail. I sent you my contract via email :dance:

(y)(y):thanks::thanks:

Interesting points about the tree on one side of the bridge only; I didn't even consider the "going nowhere" element...(y)

Do you see it more on the left or right side of the bridge, the Bonzai tree?

Interesting points about the tree on one side of the bridge only; I didn't even consider the "going nowhere" element...(y)

Do you see it more on the left or right side of the bridge, the Bonzai tree?

I'm seeing it more on the left, the right side is going "into" the tank and leading to.... Well.....

That's up to them lol. Now I wonder.... Where does that bridge lead lol.

I'm seeing it more on the left, the right side is going "into" the tank and leading to.... Well.....

That's up to them lol. Now I wonder.... Where does that bridge lead lol.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too...off to the left...

However -- does it seem like, to you, that Petsmart staged their Top Fin starter tank in this pic with two trees to either side of the bridge? :

pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

It seems like, to me, they have put two Bonsai-looking plants kind of slightly in front of the bridge, but on BOTH sides...

Do you not like that?:blink:

Yeah I see that. I would IMO do the opposite with bridge. Leave the other end going to... Like I said somewhere lol and the beginning, the part closest to you have the trees, plants etc.

Yeah I see that. I would IMO do the opposite with bridge. Leave the other end going to... Like I said somewhere lol and the beginning, the part closest to you have the trees, plants etc.

Understood; thank you.

:thanks:

Okay...so...when I scratch up the...well...scratch for the Bonzai tree -- just so we're on the same page -- you're suggesting placing it to the LEFT of the bridge and then start building up the remainder of the open spaces with tall and medium RED and GREEN plants?

:thanks:

Okay...so...when I scratch up the...well...scratch for the Bonzai tree -- just so we're on the same page -- you're suggesting placing it to the LEFT of the bridge and then start building up the remainder of the open spaces with tall and medium RED and GREEN plants?

That's pretty much it!! Now let's get this going!! Your on the clock!! lol

I'd stick with the original plan unless something catches your eye. Then bring it back to the table for review lol

LOL...okay...

But I suppose what I'm asking is, do you feel this tank layout could work by simply leaving the bridge off to the left, the gazebo off to the right, the winding garden path element towards the center and the remainder built up with tall and medium leafy plants? It doesn't really "need" any additional ornamentation, does it?

LOL...okay...

But I suppose what I'm asking is, do you feel this tank layout could work by simply leaving the bridge off to the left, the gazebo off to the right, the winding garden path element towards the center and the remainder built up with tall and medium leafy plants? It doesn't really "need" any additional ornamentation, does it?

I think your good. You don't wanna over do it and take the eyes away from the fish or other appealing decor. Too much may have the eyes wandering too much. Make sense. Make the objects we spoke of the focal points along with your fish.

You know, I got to thinking.......am I doing the right thing with a scape and theme here? For some odd reason -- most likely due to the popularity of the theme -- I have always had a soft spot for the "pirate" or "shipwreck" kind of angle for a tank...not done in a cheesy, childish sort of way with Jack Sparrow statues all over the gravel and such, but done in a fashion that would suggest a genuine shipwreck degrading at the bottom of a body of water, specifically a pirate schooner. I don't know what it is; it just seems "right" for the decor in a tank (outside of the natural rock cave/driftwood setup which always looks appealing). In our last 60 gallon setup, before it came down with a bacterial infection and then subsequently cracked and leaked, we had a pirate kind of theme, with different shades of blue gravel, a large Top Fin schooner wreck with white fabric sails as a centerpiece (this piece was gorgeous and is now discontinued by Petsmart, but it was a brown algae/diatom MAGNET, especially on the sails), a skull ornament with pirate hat and sword through it, a "treasure cave" piece of decor and a Caribbean "reef" piece in the right corner that the fish loved to swim through (but which also caused, I believe, our dreaded bacterial infection problem because of the "dead," stagnant water and debris/waste that would trap in there). As I said, I don't know what it was; I just loved the big ship in the center of the tank, with the holes throughout that the fish loved to go through and explore, as the whole thing just screamed "underwater scene" to me. Now, with switching to this Asian/Zen theme, I got to thinking about another pirate theme undertaking (which my wife HATES); the thing is, to do this right, it would have to be some kind of shipwreck centerpiece that wasn't cheesy or childish, and I haven't seen one that isn't when I search around...Petsmart carries THIS:

pPETS-8371142dt.jpg

However, this looks much different from the "pirate schooner bow wreck" they used to carry which I owned in the previous tank; I don't know how I feel about this one...to me, it looks a bit too cartoonish and "fake". Searching around, I also found these:
51eI58G4XWL._SX300_.jpg

lens17888866_1306594853Pirate_Ship_Aquarium_Deco

images

images

Back
Top Bottom