I've made ALL the mistakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i mean you could put more in but if the levels start going south too fast youll have to pull them...

if you move the fsh over, and you notice things starting to spike, simply start doing pwc's to contain it...if the pwc;s dont hold the spike down, then remove fish and do pwc's

ohh my, i do have to apologize, it seems that my page didnt quite post that comment right...lemme fix that

I looked on the petsmart online and they have the meds and the salt but not the test kit. Honestly, I'd like to give someone else the business, anyhow. I feel like PetSmart has enough of my fish money! Do you have any online stores that you recommend?

You can always get the API Master Kit on eBay for around $20 free shipping. The master kits really are the best way to go as, like someone else mentioned, the test strips really aren't up to par.

Hey Terri and Huma Huma-just wanted you to know I am still watching your progress and remain amazed at your patience...thus your ability to teach active preschoolers. Sorry I haven't been able to comment and tell you sooner. I have been hospitalized and now very limited in ability to walk (on crutches) I am envious that you can do all the PWC needed so frequently. Looking forward to the day-2 months from now-that I can do PWC myself. For now my 13 yr old is helping out. Love your barrel ideas! Keep up the ingenuity and the patience-fish are on their way to new home soon.

I order on line from Drfosterandsmith.com. Excellent customer service and quick delivery

Last edited:
how often are you adding ammonia?? drfosterandsmith.com and liveaquaria.com are pretty decent sites for fish...but usually best if ordering several fish (saves on shipping)

I just read through your posts. Quite a journey. Just want to address a couple things. The more live plants you have, the faster the tank will cycle and it will tend to be more stable.

You can do a lot with low light plants. Anubias, mosses and Java Fern can be tied to driftwood or rocks. They don't like to be "planted".

You can sterilize new plants. You can Google it. A brief Bleach bath. Plus rinsing for snail eggs. Diseases no. Algae or Snails are possible. But plants compete with Algae.

Also there are cool snails out there. And a majority do not eat healthy plants. I have Nerites

View attachment 46192Ruby

View attachment 46193Zebra

View attachment 46194Horned
They aren't the easiest, but I had to try them. Algae eating machines !!!

Also I did not see it addressed, you asked about Pictus Cats. They will gladly eat any and all fish that fit into their mouths !! All Guppies for sure.

This is my low tech Non CO2 tank. I add plant food once a week. I will be putting root tabs in which will last months.

View attachment 46195

I would also recommend The Planted Tank forum as well as Aquatic Plant Central. Good resources. You might also see if there is a local aquarium or planted tank society local to you. Mine has been super nice. I've gotten free plants and shrimp and plan to give back now that my shrimp are breeding.

If you haven't already I'd lower the temp to 78f. Over 80 is too high for most fish AND the water holds less oxygen.

GL. I envy you your large tank. My largest are 10g for now.

My NiTRITES are down! My NiTrites are down! YAAAAAYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!
LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank for the pix corsair! I LOVE snails! I have two mystery snails. I want more snails and some bamboo shrimp. and...and...and....

But no worries...I am going slow. Going to finish the plumbing for my water changing system today. Then I'm going to do some PWCs

Then I might start acclimating the fish in my 10g to my 55. I might either move them today or tomorrow. I can't wait to do a water test with the kids so THEY TOO can feel the excitement of watching that test tube turn blue!

thats awesome!!! i knew they would come down, didnt think it would take this long though... id personally just acclimate the entire 10g at once.. and once you get the fish over to the 55...youll still wanna test atleast once a day for about a week or so, just to make sure it doesnt spike for any reason

Here is a video of my classroom, taken by one of my students, while we were doing the final test on the Nitrites. We have been waiting for weeks for this test to change from purple to blue. Every day during morning snack I do a water test. The ammonia always comes back yellow (ZERO), but the Nitrites always come back purple, and the kids know that THAT means that we cannot move the fish, yet. Well, THIS time the test came back BLUE. DO you think they are excited?:dance::D(y)

:)Congratulations Professor!
So happy to see the pictures of all the children and know of your intense patience with this whole process. Keep us updated as you go along! I have so enjoyed your journey-even if you didn't (just saying).
You are a great teacher and now a fish mom! :fish2:(y)

Wonderful story and I hope the kids learned something, and maybe even inspire them. Great work

Back
Top Bottom