Java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathandohnt

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you think about java fern and what do you do to keep it green and healthy ?

What do you think about java fern and what do you do to keep it green and healthy ?

Hello Nate...

I can tell you it requires low to moderate light. It's supposed to grow slowly, but if you're able to increase the lighting, it can grow pretty quickly. I have this plant in a couple of tanks with two bulbs, just the florescent kind you can get at the hardware store and it seems to grow pretty well.

I like to change out half the water in the tanks every week and add a little liquid fertilizer to the new water too. The plant doesn't seem to need anything else.

B

I love java fern, and so do my kuhlis and embers- they like to hide in it and I like how it's virtually indestructible. Mine are thriving and multiplying on sheer neglect. Lol.
I also like that it grows in low light, because I have a lot of fish who are more active when the lighting isn't strong.
I don't fertilize- my fish poop plenty. I figure if I'm vacuuming out fertilizer twice a week, why pay good money to add it back in. Lol
I like that its not fast growing. When I had stem plants and all the lights on, my tank became a jungle. I liked it at first, but a 6ft jungle required a LOT of regular pruning.
Now I grow mostly java ferns and anubias on driftwood so I can move them around and dont have to prune them back. Just remember not to throw away the dying java fern leaves, because that where all your new ferns will come from.

Thanks guys for input. And what do you think about having mystery snails in the tank with java ferns ?

Mystery snails and most other snails will do fine with the ferns. I keep MTS, ramshorns, and apples in with them and haven't had any issues other than them munching on dead parts here and there..which is fine by me!

Ferns are actually one of my favorite plants...if they decide to take root..most of mine didnt for a long time...you have to tie them down with fishing line or sewing thread at first if they are in a tank with high current

Thanks guys for input. And what do you think about having mystery snails in the tank with java ferns ?

Hello again Nate...

Java fern is a tough plant and is kept in tanks with aggressive fish, because of the toughness of the leaves and apparently, it doesn't taste good to the fish. I have Ramshorn snails in my tanks and they don't seem to bother healthy plants.

I've never kept other snails, but I'd say your mystery snails would leave your Java fern alone.

B

Yeah I have java fern. Stuck it in and never worried about it again. It's thriving. :)

Yeah I have so much baby java fern I have a big breeding net I put it all it I think soon I should start selling then lol

Back
Top Bottom