Java Moss & Java Fern Begginer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone!
I got some java moss and 6 little java ferns shipped to me this sunday, but I am wondering how to plant them? I've read that you should tie them to driftwood but my driftwood still floats :banghead:
Can you plant the java fern?
About the java moss. I got a golfball sized rock from the beach, it's very pretty. Can I tie the java moss to this rock, will it grow later? I mean can it grow sufficently in that rock after some time, sufficently enough for me to cut some of it and attach it to the driftwood after it sinks?
Thanks

You could try to weigh down the driftwood with something and just tie the moss and ferns on. It should grow onto the rock I think. I am planning on doing similar.

A common method is to tie the JF or JM to a a rock or driftwood with white cotton thread. The thread rots over time, but the plant has a chance to attach to the object.

As far as the Java moss goes - I've had it for 20 years. Often I let it "find" its spot in the tank by placing it in and seeing where it goes! Of course it can end up in the filter intake, so you may have to move it. When you first put it in - (tied down or not) - it's going to look disappointing and all clumped together. Give it a few days to expand. With normal lighting it will "puff up" and surprise you with what it does. Keep in mind that this plant will GROW. However, pruning is simple - you rip off what you don't want. Don't throw this stuff away! Put it in another tank or fishbowl or even a vase filled with water or give/sell it to someone else! (I bought Java Moss ONCE 20 years ago - If all of the existing plant were put in one spot today it might fill my house from floor to ceiling).

I guess I will have to wait another week until my driftwood is fully waterlogged... In the meantime, I really need to put the plants in my tank. I'll tie the java moss to the rock. Can i plant the java ferns in the substrate, since I don't have anything I can attach them to at the moment? Will they live in the substrate?
Thanks!

Java fern isn't happy in the substrate IME - it really wants to attach to something. You can float it in the tank for a couple of weeks, but try to weigh your driftwood down so you can attach the plants to it - some driftwood can take months to become waterlogged.

I have heard of,but haven't yet tried, hair nets from the dollar store. Like the kind food service personnel wear. When I get some java moss, that's a method that I am considering.

Back
Top Bottom