Jawfish more trouble than it's worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a dusky jawfish last Thursday, and my tank has been a raging sand storm ever since he was put in. He has dug 2 burrows and used one the first day, and has been in the second all weekend. However the past 2 nights he's excavated the two corners of the tank his burrow is in, and also dug out under a piece of LR (which I don't mind, because it gave my Kole tang another place to hide).

Will he settle down with time and quit blowing sand everywhere? I don't like the sandstorms at all.

He MAY find a suitable home and stop, but I wouldn't count on it at all. Might consider catching him while you still can.

austinsdad said:
He MAY find a suitable home and stop, but I wouldn't count on it at all. Might consider catching him while you still can.

Just came home for lunch. Water is cloudier than it was when I got up. Time to go fishing. Too bad, I really like this fish....

Didn't you just get him a few days ago? He may still be trying to get acclimated. Mine goes back and forth between 2 dens he's built, but I'm not having a sand problem. Do you have super-fine sand?

Yeah I got him last Thursday. He's dug a total of 5 burrows, but only used 2. I have a mixture of 3 types of sand - larger grained aragonite, standard aragonite (med. sized grains) from petsmart, and 40 lbs of fiji pink, which is sugar sized. The fiji pink was the top layer. On his "side" of the tank it's all mixed up, which is fine, but after being gone for 12 hours I woke up to pristine water.

He was also a LOT bigger than I expected. The pictures look like they aren't much bigger than a goby, but this dude was as bigger than my thumb.

Back
Top Bottom