Jewel Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahh

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey there just got a question about my jewels. i keep 8 of them in a 30 gallon long ( I want them in a 55 but we haven't got one spare at the moment)
they are skittish, even with a lot of cover and tunnels and caves. we're wondering if that is just how they are or if they will become more calm with more space.

on a side note, do i have to just put up with my red zebra males missing skin above their mouth?
they're always asserting their dominance with the other fish (zebras, acei, labs.. heck even the heater and driftwood) they would be so much nicer without the white spots of missing scales. (tank size 125 standard, total of 18 fish)
we'll be adding more fish once they're out of quarantine to ease some squabbles. but anyway.
hi to everyone out there, hope your fishies are doing well :)

Sorry, no help with the Jewels.

The any mbuna will lip lock and you tend to get this when they assert thier dominance. At some stage the pecking order will sort itself out and there will be a tank boss. Hopefully your tank boss will be a good one, ie not looking for fights, but his dominance is respected.

thanks matt for the heads up. We recently got new fish, took out the hyperdominant male and changed the scenery. i guess they will all settle down soon :)

Back
Top Bottom