Julidochromis Marlieri Cichlid Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I was wondering if I can call on you guys once more for some advice. I own 5 cichlid fish and 1 cat and 1 pleco living in a 29G tank. These are the African smaller sized cichlids, so space is not a problem or so I was told.

Anyway, my problem is with my Julidochromis Marlieri Cichlid. Everyone has their own spot in the aquarium including the Juli, he has the whole coral, not part, the whole darn thing. No one is allowed near the coral exept the pleco which I believe the Juli does not see. Though the coral is his territory, he continously picks on all the other fish no matter where they are. Night and day he hits, bits, and chases the fish.

I am thinking of returning him to the LFS and giving him away, but are there anything I can try out first? By the way, I named him Biff from Back to the Future.

Thanks, Jerry

possibly rearrange the decorations

or put that fish in another tank for a "timeout" for a couple days then reintroduce to the tank

Was this fish the 1st one you added? how long has this been going on?

Julidochromis can be an aggressive species. After you try re-arranging things you may still have to return him to the lfs. 29 gals is not sufficient for 5 african cichlids due to their aggressive natures IMO. When they are juvies they will be fine but as they grow you will have more problems. Do you know the exact africans you have?

I bought all the fish at the same time. As a matter of fact the Juli shared a bag with my Leleupi and he was picking on the Lelupi then. I do not have another tank, but I hope to get a QT when I can get some extra money.

I did a PWC and I rearranged my tank and the only thing I got was grief from my other fish. They was swimming fast and looking at me with fishy eyes! :D Biff took the coral again and continues to pick on every one else.

As for the fish, I choose the smaller kind 3-4 inches, one of them gets to 6 inches as adults. Here is the list with thier names...

Julidochromis Marlieri Cichlid (Biff)
Lethrinops Intermedia Cichlid (Leroy Brown)
Neolamprologus Cylindricus Cichlid (Stripes)
Orange Leleupi Cichlid (Tweedy)
Protomelas “Taiwan Reef” Cichlid (Speedy)
Synodontis Petricola Catfish (ROC)
Pleco (Pleco)

Thanks for the help!

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom