Julii or Pygmy Cory? Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I am trying to decide between julii and pygmy cories. I will have a 56 column with zebra danios, glowlight tetras, harlquien rasboras, black kuhli loaches, ottos, and maybe shrimp or a betta. Now what do yall think and why? Also would aquarium salt hurt them or any of the fish in my tank?

You generally don't need to add salt unless you are treating for a disease. Some of those may have issues with salt, I'd do research before using salt with any of those just to be sure, but in general you shouldn't need it. I don't have experience with either Julii or Pygmys. I have Pandas and they are fun.

You generally don't want to add salt to a tank with scaleless fish like corydoras.

Not to mention that aquarium salt is pretty much useless.

I'd suggest the Julii if you want a true bottom dwelling cory. Pygmies (pygmaeous) really tend to hover mid water. Habrosus or hastatus (other "pygmy" cory species) stay primarily on the bottom as well.

Hmmmm... My mom added aquarium salt to her tank with Juliis because of her mollies.... I want them to at least stay near the bottom. Doesnt have to be on the bottom. As long as they still sift the sand like other cories.

Semi-OT, but since we're on the topic of Corys and salt...if there was an illness which required salt as part of treatment, how tolerant (if at all) are Corys and other scaleless fish to aquarium salt used short term? Should it be avoided at all costs, or is it still advisable to use perhaps smaller doses when treating for a condition like Ich?

The only illness that can require salt IMO is ich. Salt needs to be used in conjunction with heat. Aquarium salt is not as useful as kosher or marine. It is just more profitable for those that sell it. As far as how tolerant cories are with a heat/salt treatment, I've seen great and horrible results so I can't really say anything better than "it works sometimes, kills others".

You can still add salt to treat ich for corys but you have to be a little more careful, add small amounts over two to three days and watch for any adverse reactions.

What does everyone think about Juliis vs. Pygmys?

GodFan said:
What does everyone think about Juliis vs. Pygmys?

That's entirely your personal preference. HN1 gave you a good idea of their behavior. Personally I'm biased to Pandas simply because that's what I have (also came from HN1 ;) ).

IMO Pygmy Corys look similar to Otos...so it might be a little redundant if you want diversity. Pygmys are also very small, and since you have a larger tank it's not necessary to choose the smallest species.

But again, you're the one who'll be looking at them. It's hard to go wrong with any Cory :)

I'd get the Juliis. :D
Why the Juliis?
That's entirely your personal preference. HN1 gave you a good idea of their behavior. Personally I'm biased to Pandas simply because that's what I have (also came from HN1 ;) ).

IMO Pygmy Corys look similar to Otos...so it might be a little redundant if you want diversity. Pygmys are also very small, and since you have a larger tank it's not necessary to choose the smallest species.

But again, you're the one who'll be looking at them. It's hard to go wrong with any Cory :)
Thanks. I like small fish (I guess Im wierd) but I do see what you are saying about the redundency. I also love the way the pygmys "hover". Im stuck but leaning toward the pygmys because of the hovering. Will they crowd my other fish and does either have special care needs?

I have julii, and I think they are one of the most attractive corys. Just my opinion.:)
Thanks! My mom has them and they are really really pretty! So far they arent as active but they are still pretty new and the tank is also new. Plus there is only 2 of them at the moment (one bad from the pet store. We started with 3)

Waffles: What type of salt? What concentration or SG? How long have you had them? I'm guessing not long and/or you are using "aquarium salt". Have you ever kept them with no salt so that you could compare how they do relative to the salt use?

HN1 This is off topic but I have a quick question. Everyone says your awesome so you better know the answer! jk lol Anyway if I buy a moss ball and split it in half and try to root it to a piece of driftwood will it spread and cover the whole thing? Will I have to trim it? Also if it turns out ugly how could I get it off?

I used api aquarium salt, kitchen sea salt, kosher salt, and rock salt, all of which theyve been fine. ive had my juliis for about a year and they're active. more so at night. ive found the aquarium salt is worthless. its pretty much just kosher salt all fancy. as for them with no salt, not with the pygmys or juliis. but my pandas, which dont have salt, are just as active as my juliis. same behavior too.

IMO, juliis and pandas are probably the most attractive corys ever. pygmys are ok...

HN1 This is off topic but I have a quick question. Everyone says your awesome so you better know the answer! jk lol Anyway if I buy a moss ball and split it in half and try to root it to a piece of driftwood will it spread and cover the whole thing? Will I have to trim it? Also if it turns out ugly how could I get it off?

"Moss balls" are actually a claudoflora algae that really only grow into balls if routinely rolled (or in high flow where they can tumble). A "ball of moss" is probably referring to the size of the portion and can be seperated and used where ever you want it. If it grows to much, you'll need to trim. The standard hobby mosses (java, xmas, etc.) grow like mad under most lighting conditions. If it died or you wanted to remove it completely, you'd just have to tear it off of what ever it was established well on.

I used api aquarium salt, kitchen sea salt, kosher salt, and rock salt, all of which theyve been fine. ive had my juliis for about a year and they're active. more so at night. ive found the aquarium salt is worthless. its pretty much just kosher salt all fancy. as for them with no salt, not with the pygmys or juliis. but my pandas, which dont have salt, are just as active as my juliis. same behavior too.

Interesting. I've heard nothing but horror stories with juliis (and similar cories) with any salt in the past. Funny how fish seem to always try to go against the "rules" we use for them.

If the pandas are fine without, why do you use it with the others?

Back
Top Bottom