Jumped into the hobby. Need help to improve / upgrade....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newnikonian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings Everyone....

I live in India and new to Aquariums. I have set up my first FW tank 2 weeks back. This was a Kit 100 L (27 G) Tank that came with top tray filter (has just a strip of sponge / mesh). This also has an air circulating internal pump. One 20 inch tube light at the aluminum hood....

img_2874180_0_40c1059c53314dc1febf7950df033bd3.jpg

To be honest I should have spent a bit more time in research before I getting into this hobby (If only I have found this forum earlier).....
I currently have around 18 starter fish that the pet shop has provided. I lost 2 Guppies and 2 tigers already. It is making me feel very sad and I want to make things right so that the fishes are happy and not in danger. Another thing is that I would like to remove those plastic plants and start with live plants. If required choose the fish with a bit more care. So that is the high level plan.

img_2874180_1_757a056e097899ddd3c64c8771b66878.jpg

I am reading up and thinking of upgrading slowly one step at a time.....

The first step I think should be the filter. Get an external filter. Thinking of EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter 2213. Is this Ok or I should go for the next higher version. I may get a bigger tank in the next 6 months or so.

2nd Step - I am thinking of removing the pebbles that the pet shop folks have put in and go for some decent Pool filter sand / fine gravel. Since I am looking to grow live plants, should I straight away jump to those packaged substrates for planed tanks? I may not get a CO2 set up immediately. The tank will be initially will have just few hardy plants.

3rd Step – Select few basic plants and maintain. Choose the fish to complement those I have and suitable for the plants / size of the tank / water quality.

4th Step – get the Water test kit. Learn how to use to maintain water quality. Check whether I need heater? Considering the outside average temperature in Chennai is between 70 to 100 F. I am yet to learn on this…

5th step – I would like to improve Lighting. Is it possible to remove the top hood mounted tray filter altogether and use the space to include additional tube lighting Or go for LED types?

What are the other areas I need to concentrate on? Is the sequence I am attempting is OK or I am missing something?

I need all the advice I could get and thanks in advance…. :flowers:

Hi there. Nice tank! I'd say a liquid based test kit such as the api master test kit is essential. Are you aware of fish-in cycling? Just in case.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I would also remove the pebbles if food is drifting down between them as it will rot if not consumed. Fine gravel or sand sounds ideal.

Also agree with another filter if possible. I like to run two.

I would move step four to step one. As a good test kit is the most important piece of aquarium equipment. Your not really keeping fish your keeping water.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Delapool, Thanks for those excellent info.... I am reading up.... You are right, I have no clue on "In-fish cycling" and your URLs are just the info I am looking for....

Hi fishyfriends3, Thanks for the suggestion... I lost 2 more tiger barbs :( I had no clue. I have ordered the test kit and the canister filter.....

Thanks again for the reply...

Hi, Thanks....:cool:

I am doing in fish cycling with daily 40% water change on my 100 L (27 G) tank. The tank kit came with a under gravel filter and a overhead sump filter.

The sump filter had just two strips of filter sponge / pad. Two days back I bought a pouch of ceramic bio rings and a small pouch of activated carbon pellets. I have placed these pouch bellow the existing filter pad. I am new and I do not know whether this is correct. The idea is to improve the filteration quality and aid bactiria creation. For now the fish seems to be OK. No casualities in the past 10 days since I started following the aggressive water change cycle. My test kit is in transit so no testing possible for another week or so. Please let me know the filter flow / media placement sequence is correct or this will lead to some other issues.... Any other points to improve?

Please refer the attached image for better understandin....

img_2885953_0_525308efc3be4652d2539ecfc717835e.jpg

I think this looks good - nice slide!

We'll know more when the test kit comes :) The additional bio-media I like and looks to be protected by the filter pad so it won't get gunked up.

Carbon has some pros and cons. Seachem Purigen is another option which I've seen good reviews on. I like carbon and feel it helps.

The main thing is that bacteria do colonise it so when you replace it, some bacteria is lost. From memory it starts to get colonised after 1 to 2 weeks. If ammonia spikes after replacing it then not enough bio-media elsewhere. I have run it in a second filter which I had for basically experimenting with so that wasn't an issue. So bit of a test and see.

Good news no more fish are going too, that's great.

Since your fish are in the tank, I would suggest, "dr. Tim's one & only nitrifying bacteria". It can be added when fish are in the water and it works very fast. It's the only product that really works.

I'd suggest focusing totally on this tank and 6 months down the road figure out what fish you want... Then, customize the 2nd tank for them.

And, I agree with the other post that related that, if you change out the gravel that you will lose bacteria.

If you can purchase Dr. Tim's bacteria, then the day that you dose the tank would be the day to change out the gravel. Changing the gravel right before dosing the tank. ( all sand and gravel need water washes before using them. Dechlorinate/ Condition the last water of the water washes.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom