Just a few general questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody! I just have a few general questions:

1. My tank. I just bought a new tank on craigslist. It was advertised "50 gallon tall aquarium. When I got it home I measured it to see if I could get a hood for it. My question is: is it a 40 gal breeder, or a 50 gal tall? It is 36 inches long by 18 inches wide and 17 inches deep. Either way, it was only 40 bucks!

2. Prime. My question is, how long should I wait to put it in the aquarium? I have been giving it 15 minutes to acclimate to room temp. Does it work instantly?

3. Fish. I was wondering what would make good community fish that swim at the top? My tank has alot of fish swimming in the middle/bottom but none at the top.

Thank you for reading my questions! :thanks:

1) It's a 40 breeder tank, still a good buy.

2) It works instantly, you can add it as you fill the tank. Same when you do a water change, as you fill the tank, add Prime, enough for the full 40 gallons instead of only what you took out.

3) What type of fish do you have now? You might look into to killi fish. They're top fish, so are hatchets.

Throwing some ideas out

Top Fish:
-Guppies, super common, but you have to admit they're beautiful.
-Some types of Rainbows
-Golden Killifish (less aggressive killi)
-Hatchetfish
-Halfbeak
-African Butterfly fish maybe? They are certainly interesting looking, but I find them a bit...boring? Also they can get big and will eat others eventually.

Fish that swim at any level:
- Pearl Danio
- Rosy Barb
- Upside Down Catfish
- Zebra Danio

1) It's a 40 breeder tank, still a good buy.

2) It works instantly, you can add it as you fill the tank. Same when you do a water change, as you fill the tank, add Prime, enough for the full 40 gallons instead of only what you took out.

3) What type of fish do you have now? You might look into to killi fish. They're top fish, so are hatchets.

Thanks for all of the info :) In the tank now, I have 6 neon tetras, a goldfish, ballon mollie, pineapple swordtail and a tinfoil barb. They are doing so good together, but they are all either in the middle or swim on the bottom.

Top Fish:
-Guppies, super common, but you have to admit they're beautiful.
-Some types of Rainbows
-Golden Killifish (less aggressive killi)
-Hatchetfish
-Halfbeak
-African Butterfly fish maybe? They are certainly interesting looking, but I find them a bit...boring? Also they can get big and will eat others eventually.

Fish that swim at any level:
- Pearl Danio
- Rosy Barb
- Upside Down Catfish
- Zebra Danio

Thank you for all of the suggestions :) I hope I can find some at my local Petsmart :)

I have to agree, guppies, cheap, pretty and docile

Sent from my v89_jbl1a668 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got a shipment (6) marble hatchetfish and I am already deeply in love with them. They're so unique to begin with, and they love riding the surface. Awesome fish!

I just got a shipment (6) marble hatchetfish and I am already deeply in love with them. They're so unique to begin with, and they love riding the surface. Awesome fish!

Marble hatchetfish, I must remember that! I have been looking for fish that will swim at the top :) thank you for the suggestion. Do you think it would go well with my current stock? I have 6 neons, a goldfish, tinfoil barb, balloon mollie and a swordtail.

Marble hatchetfish, I must remember that! I have been looking for fish that will swim at the top :) thank you for the suggestion. Do you think it would go well with my current stock? I have 6 neons, a goldfish, tinfoil barb, balloon mollie and a swordtail.

Oh yes, you have a very peaceful tank.

Oh yes, you have a very peaceful tank.

That is fantastic news :) I have already googled the marble hatchetfish, and I think it would be an awesome addition to my tank! I just have to hope that petco or Petsmart has them :D

Back
Top Bottom