Just a few questions... Professional Advice Preferred!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wurmcoilengine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I need a bit of help with a few different things. I'll just sum it up here to begin:
I'm really just a teenager hobbyist (amateur at that) and I live with my family. We have two cycled 10 gal. heated freshwater "family tanks" that are set up next to each other. I personally don't like messing around with those tanks because my little brother is a little possessive about these sort of things so I sort of let him and my mom take care of those, but because of this, many fish have died on their watch and I'm sick of it. As for me, I had a little 2.5 gal. tank with a Betta, which, despite my best efforts died.

As it happens, I'm finally getting my own room and my parents are letting me commandeer one of the 10 gal. tanks (convenient because the ammonia has already cycled). It's current location is very close to my room. I plan on taking out 30% of the water and moving it (there are no fish in it currently), then adding decor, plants (thinking Java fern), etc. then filling the empty 30% and leaving it 'till I have the chance to buy and add the fish.

Now to talk specifics. For the fish, I really don't wanna start with anything to hostile or fragile, since I haven't cared for fish in a while. I did some research and came up with a few things, I'll list them here:

- Kuhli Loaches
They look really cool an eel-like, also a peaceful species from what I've heard. I believe they could double as part of the cleanup crew.

- Danios
Hardy, interesting fish that are pretty friendly and play nice. (So I'm told)

- Black Mollies
These little ones I hear should be kept with a variety of peaceful species, which is kind of what I'm going for.

- Black Skirt Tetra
These look amazing. I really like them. Only con here is they usually like to be left alone, which might be hard in a multi-species tank.

If there's any cool and peaceful fish I missed here please suggest any you have in mind.

Cleanup Crew. I've also done some research for the ccrew. Just before you give advice about it I've already given a no to plecos. They produce too much waste and I don't need that extra ammonia. Here are my other candidates:

- Pictus Catfish
My friend suggested these guys. He said no one messes with them, which is cool, but the fish I plan on buying are pretty peaceful so I don't know if this is vital.

-Albino Catfish
Piqued my interest a while back. They give off a cool vibe, being albino and everything. My friend owns one and he says they are quite active and interesting.

-RC Shrimp/Ghost Shrimp
Redcherry shrimp and ghost shrimp I find really cool. Most people I know "oo" and "aa" at them because shrimp in a tank (to inexperienced caretakers) is peculiar and interesting (ghost shrimp in particular).

That's all I have for the cleaners. Any suggestions are really helpful, so suggest away!

The last thing is this: How high will the maintenance levels be for this tank? I'm quite a busy guy, and it would be really great if a professional could help me out with a few pointers on feeding, water changes, and ammonia management based on what I've written.

That's it. To summarize all of it, I really just need suggestions for my fish and some professional advice on maintenance, and more importantly, if this plan seems viable and to point out any flaws it has before I initiate it.

Any and all help is extremely appreciated!

Thanks so much,
wurmcoilengine

Hello all,

I need a bit of help with a few different things. I'll just sum it up here to begin:

I'm really just a teenager hobbyist (amateur at that) and I live with my family. We have two cycled 10 gal. heated freshwater "family tanks" that are set up next to each other. I personally don't like messing around with those tanks because my little brother is a little possessive about these sort of things so I sort of let him and my mom take care of those, but because of this, many fish have died on their watch and I'm sick of it. As for me, I had a little 2.5 gal. tank with a Betta, which, despite my best efforts died.

As it happens, I'm finally getting my own room and my parents are letting me commandeer one of the 10 gal. tanks (convenient because the ammonia has already cycled). It's current location is very close to my room. I plan on taking out 30% of the water and moving it (there are no fish in it currently), then adding decor, plants (thinking Java fern), etc. then filling the empty 30% and leaving it 'till I have the chance to buy and add the fish.

Now to talk specifics. For the fish, I really don't wanna start with anything to hostile or fragile, since I haven't cared for fish in a while. I did some research and came up with a few things, I'll list them here:

- Kuhli Loaches

They look really cool an eel-like, also a peaceful species from what I've heard. I believe they could double as part of the cleanup crew.

- Danios

Hardy, interesting fish that are pretty friendly and play nice. (So I'm told)

- Black Mollies

These little ones I hear should be kept with a variety of peaceful species, which is kind of what I'm going for.

- Black Skirt Tetra

These look amazing. I really like them. Only con here is they usually like to be left alone, which might be hard in a multi-species tank.

If there's any cool and peaceful fish I missed here please suggest any you have in mind.

Cleanup Crew. I've also done some research for the ccrew. Just before you give advice about it I've already given a no to plecos. They produce too much waste and I don't need that extra ammonia. Here are my other candidates:

- Pictus Catfish

My friend suggested these guys. He said no one messes with them, which is cool, but the fish I plan on buying are pretty peaceful so I don't know if this is vital.

-Albino Catfish

Piqued my interest a while back. They give off a cool vibe, being albino and everything. My friend owns one and he says they are quite active and interesting.

-RC Shrimp/Ghost Shrimp

Redcherry shrimp and ghost shrimp I find really cool. Most people I know "oo" and "aa" at them because shrimp in a tank (to inexperienced caretakers) is peculiar and interesting (ghost shrimp in particular).

That's all I have for the cleaners. Any suggestions are really helpful, so suggest away!

The last thing is this: How high will the maintenance levels be for this tank? I'm quite a busy guy, and it would be really great if a professional could help me out with a few pointers on feeding, water changes, and ammonia management based on what I've written.

That's it. To summarize all of it, I really just need suggestions for my fish and some professional advice on maintenance, and more importantly, if this plan seems viable and to point out any flaws it has before I initiate it.

Any and all help is extremely appreciated!

Thanks so much,

wurmcoilengine

Hi there!
First things first, when moving it remove ALL/ as much as you can of the water. If it still has ~70% in it, it'll be extremely heavy and can crack!

Next, if it's had no fish in it for awhile I doubt that it's still cycled since the bacteria need to "eat", and no ammonia is being produced.

For Stocking, I Try to have fish at every level, top, middle, and bottom.

The kuhli loaches, Black skirt tetras, albino Cory catfish, and shrimp are all good choices(not all together though!)

Mollies really need a bigger tank, and they reproduce fast! I'd go with guppies or endlers instead, also very colorful and give birth to live fry(no eggs)

Danios are very active, and would be cramped in a 10gal, I'd go with something else.

Pictus catfish need way bigger tanks and will eat small fish.

I'd do a school of albino cories or kuhli loaches (4-5), a school of tetras (Lots of kinds!), and 1-3 guppies or endlers. As soon as you tank has all the fish in it, and is running smoothly for a month or so, you could add shrimp!

Hi there!
First things first, when moving it remove ALL/ as much as you can of the water. If it still has ~70% in it, it'll be extremely heavy and can crack!

Next, if it's had no fish in it for awhile I doubt that it's still cycled since the bacteria need to "eat", and no ammonia is being produced.

For Stocking, I Try to have fish at every level, top, middle, and bottom.

The kuhli loaches, Black skirt tetras, albino Cory catfish, and shrimp are all good choices(not all together though!)

Mollies really need a bigger tank, and they reproduce fast! I'd go with guppies or endlers instead, also very colorful and give birth to live fry(no eggs)

Danios are very active, and would be cramped in a 10gal, I'd go with something else.

Pictus catfish need way bigger tanks and will eat small fish.

I'd do a school of albino cories or kuhli loaches (4-5), a school of tetras (Lots of kinds!), and 1-3 guppies or endlers. As soon as you tank has all the fish in it, and is running smoothly for a month or so, you could add shrimp!
Tropical Aquarist,
Thanks so much! This really helps. I forgot, however, there is still currently a single electric yellow GloFish tetra (not sure of the exact species), in the "family tank" which I am going to use. We plan on moving it in with the other tetras in the other family tank. Would there still be bacteria in the 10 gal. even if there was only 1 tetra? I'm really not looking forward to dealing with ammonia. I guess what I'm asking here is: Will removing all of the water make me deal with new tank syndrome again?

As for the fish choice, I think I'll go with the school of albino cories and a school of tetras, along with 3 endlers. Do you have any suggestions for the type of tetra? I currently have a school of a tetras (not sure of species) in a family tank and they don't seem all that happy. I believe it may be because they are alone.

One last thing, if I get to adding shrimp, how many would be ideal?

Thanks for the advice and I'd love a few more specifications!

EDIT: I've done some Tetra research. Are the diamond Tetras a good choice?

Thanks so much,
wurmcoilengine

I agree with TA for the most part. Never try to move a partly full tank if at all possible; it can easily crack a seam. You can put the water in a couple 5 gal buckets when you move it and add water again after tank is moved.
I have Kuhlis in 2 tanks, and I find them to be as effective as corys when it comes to cleaners. Your tank isn't very large, so IMO, choose one or the other. Neither will bother any shrimp you decide to add.
Also, I would choose only 1 type of tetra, as not all tetras will school with different species of tetras. Also, I think you'll like how the school moves together.
I also have pictus catfish in 1 tank; 5 of them. They prefer the company of their own kind also. Not a good choice for a 10g, and can be predatory.
If you want something at the top of the tank, consider a dwarf gourami, a killifish (Golden panchax [wonder]) are usually pretty cheap, or a single female betta.
Personally, I would go with a golden Panchax, a school of 5-6 tetras, and 3-4 kuhlis or corys, and call it good.

Tropical Aquarist,
Thanks so much! This really helps. I forgot, however, there is still currently a single electric yellow GloFish tetra (not sure of the exact species), in the "family tank" which I am going to use. We plan on moving it in with the other tetras in the other family tank. Would there still be bacteria in the 10 gal. even if there was only 1 tetra? I'm really not looking forward to dealing with ammonia. I guess what I'm asking here is: Will removing all of the water make me deal with new tank syndrome again?

As for the fish choice, I think I'll go with the school of albino cories and a school of tetras, along with 3 endlers. Do you have any suggestions for the type of tetra? I currently have a school of a tetras (not sure of species) in a family tank and they don't seem all that happy. I believe it may be because they are alone.

One last thing, if I get to adding shrimp, how many would be ideal?

Thanks for the advice and I'd love a few more specifications!

EDIT: I've done some Tetra research. Are the diamond Tetras a good choice?

Thanks so much,
wurmcoilengine

You're very welcome:D Good luck with your fish!

If there's a fish in there, the filter will be kept alive! All the Glofish tetras are a white form of the black skirt tetras, and then with the added gene to make them glow. 99.99% of the bacteria is in the filter and the substrate (gravel), so only a small amount on the water.. So you'd be fine by removing close to all the water, just don't touch the filter!

When you add new fish, add only 2-3 at a time, and do a 50% water change before adding them. This allows the filter bacteria to build up. What you can also do, if you want to add all the fish at once, buy a small bottle of Tetra SafeStart which contains live bacteria to instantly cycle you're tank.

For the tetras, it's pretty much your personal preference! Diamonds are on the bigger side though...

Neons, Von Rio, phantom, serpae and lemon are my favorites...

For the shrimp I'd get 5 or so.

Not all Plecos are large fish. Bristol Nose plecos grow to 3 inches. They will eat algae and vegetable wafers. BNP are fun to breed. If you have a lot of plants and hiding places for the fry. Of course you need a male and female. Also a small pleco cave. Buy them on line or at a good pet shop.

Not all Plecos are large fish. Bristol Nose plecos grow to 3 inches. They will eat algae and vegetable wafers. BNP are fun to breed. If you have a lot of plants and hiding places for the fry. Of course you need a male and female. Also a small pleco cave. Buy them on line or at a good pet shop.

While BNs are one of the smaller plecos, they have a big bioload and would take up most of the stocking. Also they grow to 5-6"....

Here is my $.02. 10 gallon tanks are usually sold as starter tank. However, they are too small. Larger tanks are easier to maintain. I have a 150, 90 and 17, and I hate working on the 17.

Check Craigs List and see if you can pickup a used 20 gallon or larger tank, and you will enjoy the hobby much more.

My recommendation is pool filter sand substrate and live plants.

Here is my $.02. 10 gallon tanks are usually sold as starter tank. However, they are too small. Larger tanks are easier to maintain. I have a 150, 90 and 17, and I hate working on the 17.

Check Craigs List and see if you can pickup a used 20 gallon or larger tank, and you will enjoy the hobby much more.

My recommendation is pool filter sand substrate and live plants.

People thing bigger tanks are harder to maintain but the opposite is true!

If you can, definitely see if you can upgrade, but if not make the best of what you have!

I completely agree with the idea of getting a larger tank. A 20 gallon tank doesn't take up much more space but your choices will increase ten-fold. Frankly, a ten gallon is only good for the smallest of fishes, as a betta tank, or as a quarantine tank. Some of the recommendations given are just too much for this little tank. Half a dozen quiet, small tetras would be fine with four tiny cories and some shrimp, but that's about it. More than that and you are looking at more frequent and larger water changes.

If you do decide to stick with the ten gallon tank: Your beneficial bacteria are not in the water so removing all of it is fine and recommended before moving your tank. The bacteria are in the substrate, your filter, and on any living plants or established rocks or other decorations, but only if fish have been in the tank within the last few weeks. If there have been fish, make sure you don't wash out the bacteria with tap water, just swish your filter media in the old tank water to clean it.

I highly recommend getting a good book (I know, old school, but it beats trying to find specific things on the internet) to learn from. There are also great articles here on this forum! Look under Freshwater/Brackish Articles as well as Getting Started in this forum.

Good luck and have fun! I started this hobby in my teens and have had tanks off and on for over 40 years. :)

I completely agree with the idea of getting a larger tank. A 20 gallon tank doesn't take up much more space but your choices will increase ten-fold and it will be easier to maintain. Frankly, a ten gallon is only good for the smallest of fishes, as a betta tank, or as a quarantine tank. Some of the recommendations given are just too much for this little tank. Half a dozen quiet, small tetras would be fine with four small cories and some shrimp, but that's about it. More than that and you are looking at more frequent and larger water changes.

If you do decide to stick with the ten gallon tank: Your beneficial bacteria are not in the water so removing all of it is fine and recommended before moving your tank. The bacteria are in the substrate, your filter, and on any living plants or established rocks or other decorations, but only if fish have been in the tank within the last few weeks. If there have been fish, make sure you don't wash out the bacteria with tap water, just swish your filter media in the old tank water to clean it.

I highly recommend getting a good book to learn from (I know, old school, but it beats trying to find specific things on the internet). There are also great articles here on this forum! Look under Freshwater/Brackish Articles as well as Getting Started in this section of the forum.

Good luck and have fun! I started this hobby in my early teens and have had tanks off and on for over 40 years. :)

Back
Top Bottom