Just bought bubble anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
my lfs told me it was fine with what I have... (2 clowns, 2 chocolate chip starfish, 1 blue damsel, 1 camel shrimp, hermits, turbo snails, nassarius sand snails, trochus snails, and a tiger sand conch) now Am I safe or do I have to take anything out for my anemone to live?

Your chocolate chip starfish may eat the anemone. They are not reef safe and will eat very slow moving inverts and corals.

I agree with pinkie about the chocolate chip starfish.

Also how long has the tank been setup?

Checking your info, with your lighting you need to photo-acclimate the anemone to the tank or risk the anemone expelling it's zooanthel....(I forget how to spell it) and dying within a week. Did you get a healthy one to begin with? What type of lighting did the lfs have it under?

**EDIT**

what do you mean by acclimate photo lighting and how do u do it? I put it where it got about an hour or so of metal halide today and its just lunar now... tommorow is when its gonna get all day of that.. is that fine?

the corals looked very healthy and is guaranteed to be eating (I watched her feed the other ones) and i think it was just under regular fluorescent light but they feed it daily so it lives on that instead of the algae that is growing on them

to acclimate it, I put the bag on the tank and slowly added water to it using a syringe within half an hour..

I guess I'm gonna have to put them into my sump.. LFS told me that its stingers will protect it from getting eatened by my chocolate chip starfish

I'd definitely recommend finding a new fish store. Sounds like they told you just about anything to buy the anemone. I really wouldn't trust a word that place tells you.

well I dont think its a good sign but the bubble coral is moving around a lot..

so worried 6:00 am still awake..

oh and i think i might have accidentally killed my blue damsel in a very clumsy idiotic way... I was moving the LR awhile ago (coral keeps hiding inside the cave) and I might have squished my blue damsel as it is always hiding somewhere around that area... and then, around 5 am, I moved this one LR again and I saw a white chunk float around and slowly clouded the water as it disappears in pieces..nightmares :( .. maybe its the damsel.. or maybe its the molt from my camel shrimp.. but most likely the damsel as I think I've seen some reflections of the scales floating around too... ($%#!&).. anyways.. I feel so bad and I guess I'll check again when lights are on..

Light acclimation can be done a few ways. One way is to use layers of screen and remove them to let more light in. Another way is to run your lights a few hours increasing the lighting cycle over a week or so. I would let the anemone roam, they will move around untill they find a place they are comfortable with.

Your acclimation procedures are not adequate for sensitive invertebrates. Why would you put it in the sump?!? It needs that bright light, just not all at one time. Roka has given you good ideas on how to proceed.

You also need to stop buying things without researching the needs of the animal first.

What color was the bta when you got it?

Feeding it everyday stresses out anemones as it takes more energy for them to digest the food than they actually get out of it. Some people feed them regularly to force them to split, but it's just splitting becuase it's stressed and trying to survive.

You saw a white chunk floating around? If possible get it out of the tank. If it happened to be your bta dying (they dissolve when they die) it will likely kill everything in your tank.

If the bta is still alive give it like 1-2 hours of light a day for a week or two then add about an hour every 10 days. It's a slow but safe way.

If the lfs was keeping them in regular flourescent and feeding them daily then I definitely wouldnt believe anything they told me.

If by chance the bta was white when you got it, you must feed it for several weeks to nurse it back to health then maybe feed it once a month. They get all they need from the light and water column.

And you should of drip acclimated it for about 3 hours.

I would not move the rocks your anemone is attached to. It is an animal, and will move to where it is comfortable with. Most want to be wedged into a crevice in the rocks, and moving those rocks can rupture their discs.

my 2 cents... just let the bta get used to the lighting on its own. When I put my rose bta in, it went under an overhang and didnt come out for a 2 days, but then little by little it expanded each day more, and now its as big as a football when it fully expands.

You definitely dont want to force the bta out if it hides, that'll stress it or kill it if its attached. Its not a coral... it moves around the tank on its own. Just let it do its thing, it will come out on its own accord.

Hara said:
Your acclimation procedures are not adequate for sensitive invertebrates. Why would you put it in the sump?!? It needs that bright light, just not all at one time. Roka has given you good ideas on how to proceed.

You also need to stop buying things without researching the needs of the animal first.

I put the starfishes in the sump...(also put a piece of rock in there) I've seen it in done one of the forums before...

oh and it's green at night...

so I won't touch it anymore for awhile..

mike3epanda said:
I put the starfishes in the sump

This was a good idea. I had to put mine in the sump also. You can move the anenome if you want but it is still going to go where it wants to.

yep... I heard mel saying that before to this one subject.. just wasnt sure if it was a refugium or a sump..mine doesn't have any lighting, this ok?

i think there was a little confusion as to what was put into the sump. I too thought you had put the anemone into the sump. That I would say wouldnt be the best idea. Putting the starfish into the sump, however, is fine.

mike3epanda wrote:
I put the starfishes in the sump...(also put a piece of rock in there) I've seen it in done one of the forums before...

It was the starfish in the sump, I read it as the BTA the first time too though.

woot! found my blue damsel when I gave out some food earlier.. geehz.. not gona do that again!... anyways I haven't touched BTA since but sometimes it just lets itself tumble around and let the currents move him.. is this normal?.. or is my anemone sick? TIA

Sometimes bta's will let the water take them around to find a better spot and then reattach there, but if your bta is constantly drifting around and not attaching then there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom