Just cycled 14 biocube need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scribmanda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I have just set up my Christmas present (I know, it's a bit late) and had a few questions. We just took the water to get tested by pros and we were completely cycled through (ya!). In addition to our great stuff already growing off the live rock that we purchased there are a few questionable items: 1) what the heck are these brown disks and 2) what are these pink tubes? --see picture--

img_1000933_0_75d28b29479d75fe5f4fc2b3c8fbdaf6.jpg

And finally, we are looking to aquire some fish over the next few months and wanted to go about it the right way and not over crowd. How many fish do you think (in your professional opinion) could this tank hold? We want happy and healthy tank mates so feel free to let us know what are hardy, get along, are well mannered (unlike one of our little hermit crabs lil shawn, ha ha).:eek:

yes get rid of tha hair algae ASAP!!! one or two turbo snailz will do the job. i had that prolome in the beginning as well.. as far as fish go i aswell have the 14 gallon biocube i currently only have 1 fish a small damsel.. in your beginning days id suggest to start with just one. a hearty fish. a couple good starters is the clown fish or i like the royal gramma.. as far as future goes you can more then likely get a fish in there depending on size. just a rule of thumb my LFS told me # of gallons in water = # of inches of fish.. but be careful cause you do have a 14 gallon tank but with all the live rock you probly only have 10 gallons of water so id say 7-9 inches of fish is good! also look at gobies1! >>> salt water gobies - Google Images

Inches of fish per gallon is even less useful for marine tanks than FW IMO. I'd suggest one clown and maybe one small goby. The tank is too small for a royal gramma.

Inches of fish per gallon is even less useful for marine tanks than FW IMO. I'd suggest one clown and maybe one small goby. The tank is too small for a royal gramma.

if that rule is useless and the royal gramma is to big.... then my LFS scam me pretty dam often.

Apparently they do. I totally agree that inch per gallon is totally worthless. Even more so in SW.

=/ ok well good to know.. anyway lets get this thread back to where it was.. more advice on his tank xD

Thanks everyone..
The hair alge is gone...snails took care of that! And good point about live rock distorting the actual amount of water in there...didn't think of that. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks so I'll probably wait to get fish untill after I return. Looks like 2 fish is the limit?

Yes clowns are fun but there a pain in the butt in the bio cube. I had a clown and they tend to jump. (like nemo!) every day i would find him in the back left slot cartridge and dook about 1 hour to fish him out so i returned him to the LFS. So if you do plan to get a clown fish i strongly suggest some kind of net or something to make sure he doesnt jump back in to the filter

Back
Top Bottom