Just found a hitchhiker on some live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyWise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband and I discovered a hitchhiker burrowed into a chunk of live rock. We're wondering what it is. It's the kind of pink fuzzy thing in the middle. Is it a worm? A starfish tentacle?

image-3669130703.jpg

Thanks! They're pretty harmless right? We're in the process of cycling our tank so, if he's beneficial then I hope it makes it through! We're only about a week in to cycling but we are using live sand and live rocks. I have one more ID needed. This little guy is super tiny but kinda opens up and is orange in the middle with white tentacles.

image-1429305901.jpg

Not quite sure almost looks like a feather duster. Just keep your eye on it and see how it develops or if you could get a photo from a different angle the could help too.

Thanks again! That's the best pic I have right now and even that was blown way up. I'll keep an eye on it.

+1 for bristle worm
They are good clean up crew that eat left over food and detritus, don't touch it because they sting the crap out of you lol

2nd pic looks like a feather duster worm, harmless filter feeder.

Both ids look spot on to me. But that feather duster will probably not get any larger. There are many many species that stay tiny like that. I've got dozens of them. Interestingly, they seem to breed and spread much better than the big ones we buy intentionally. As for the worm, it's a real good thing to have. Learn to love the worms! Lol

Macdracor I was watching BBC's the blue planet and they talk quite a bit about polycete worms. They are quite remarkable creatures. Some of them live in the hot vents at the very bottom of the ocean. They have a beneficial bacterial on them that allows then to covert the gasses into useful energy that normally comes from the sun. I love that series. :)

Oh yeah. Polychaete worms are so cool. And such variety too!and some may think they aren't pretty (except the feather dusters) but I think they are. If you google bristle worm and look at the amazing colors, they really are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom