Just got a 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemomma456

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any suggestions on what should stock with what gravel and fake plants i should use

Attachments

• 1398579911162.jpg
    1398579911162.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 82
It depends on what type of aquarium you want. With a 30 gallon tank there is wide variety from a specific type of biotrope (Amazon, Asian, cold water, etc.) to species tanks (cichlids, etc.) to community tanks. The type also depends on your experience level and how much work you want to do as well. For some inexperienced, the Amazon tanks work as the fish are relatively hardy and do not demand an extraordinary level effort once the tank is established.

As for plants I'm partial to easy, low tech live plants. To me it makes for a better looking tank in the long run and helps with your water quality.

I was thinking of a community tank

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angelfish, Bolivian rams, hatchetfish, and Cory catfish. Make the tank look natural add a piece of drift wood and get many realistic fake plants. As for gravel I would go all black or buy pool sand. 5.50 for 50lbs at Home Depot.

If you just got the tank, think about cycling first before you get fish!
I saw a beautiful display tank at my LFS full of cardinal tetras and platinum angels. In a 30, you could do a pair of angels and 12-16 cardinals. Black substrate and natural looking plants really make the colors pop.

use sand instead of gravel way prettier, and get 5-6 corycats they love sand substrate !
bottom dwelling - 5-6 cory cats and a bristle nose pleco (they want hiding places as well such as caves)
mid dwelling - school of rasboras or neon tetras or maybe cardinals or black skirt tetras (school of 10)
centrepiece fish - maybe a blue gourami or a angelfish :)

those are just some ideas i threw in :),

Make sure you cycle the tank first and don't add too many fish at once

Back
Top Bottom