Just ordered an Eheim 2217 filter...Need/want some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shortyusa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as the title say i just ordered me a 2217 for my 55 gallon freshwater tank and this is the first time im gonna be using one of these.

My main question is how should the media be put into the canister? I believe the 2217 doesn't have a media basket so i will be just putting the stuff right into the canister correct? Is there any way i can have the media contained for ease of removal such as a bag to hold everything separate?

Also how often should i take the canister apart to clean the filter?

and how often should i take everything out of it an give it a rinse in aquarium water?

Is it possible to say run it for 2 months and not have to worry about it or should it be taken apart and the filters be replaced?

Thank you for any help you can give me

You could put media in cut off sections of pantyhose tied off at both ends that will make it much easier changing it out.

Media should checked every month. You should just take it out and rinse it out in tank water. If you want to go longer you have to monitor your parameters and see how long you can go.

Really every month it should be cleaned out? i thought they could run longer.

I also had a question regarding the height the canister can be below the water line. The water line will be about 5.5 feet above the ground and i was planing on putting the canister there. Is this way to low for it? Will it kill the power of the pump and hurt it?

Shortyusa said:
Really every month it should be cleaned out? i thought they could run longer.

I also had a question regarding the height the canister can be below the water line. The water line will be about 5.5 feet above the ground and i was planing on putting the canister there. Is this way to low for it? Will it kill the power of the pump and hurt it?

That height should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom