Just started my first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tested the ammonia and it was at a safe leve, but I did find out the pH in my water here was very high (cichlid territory). So I should've been using a buffer when I changed the water. I'm starting over and my dad (longtime aquarium enthusiast) is going to help me tooImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418735507.602459.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So far, I've had no problems with my fish (mostly various tetras and rasboras though) with pH in the nines, but have fought a losing battle trying to buffer it down. (Rasboras and tetras like pH between 6 and 7 btw)

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Fixed my anubias, added an Amazon sword and some Java moss ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419198543.523845.jpg

Tank is coming along great. Hate to hear you had a ich bout. I went through the same thing when I started out. Now I make sure not to buy fish the same day they are delivered. I think it adds to their stress.

I assume this is the aqueon 26 bow front kit? Are you running the stock lighting?

I assume this is the aqueon 26 bow front kit? Are you running the stock lighting?

This is actually the Fluval 26 Bow kit. Came with a C3 filter and LED lighting (although I'm unsure of the wattage). The tank may look dim because it's dyed from tannins in the large piece of driftwood. My pH is very high in the tap water so I didn't boil it for long as I wanted to lower the pH along with my buffer and pH down chemicals. As for CO2, I don't have an external setup but I feed the plants Flourish Excel daily and Flourish at every water change as per my LFS.

Tank is coming along great. Hate to hear you had a ich bout. I went through the same thing when I started out. Now I make sure not to buy fish the same day they are delivered. I think it adds to their stress.

I've gotten very careful about adding fish. There's a great store about 25 minutes from me called Aquaradise and I will only add fish from them from now on. The ich bout came after adding fish from a questionable Petco (lesson learned). Petco and Petsmart are great if supplies are needed in a pinch though

Sometimes the chain stores are more skillful. So far, I'm getting better fish from several Petsmart fish than from my locally owned fish store. I guess it's sometimes about like shooting craps.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

This escalated quickly. I have sold the 26 gallon because I upgraded to a new 55! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422822387.831994.jpg

Back
Top Bottom