Just starting out....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I haven't had an aquarium since I was three...umm and obviously I didn't maintain it...but I want to be a Marine Biologist and I'm currently in high school. I have a budget of around $80, I was thinking something like this Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kits - Sale - Fish - PetSmart (the five gallon) and putting a couple fake plants in with a bottom feeder of some sort (any suggestions), two ghost shrimp, a mystery snail and possibly another fish. How does this sound? Any suggestions or ideas on the last fish...and does that sound too cramped?

You could get a betta, or divide it and get 2. But if you do, make sure the plants are silk so their fins don't tear.
Also, just so you know, you will end up paying more because if you get something tropical, you will probably have to get a heater, then the food, etc etc....lol

You could get a betta, or divide it and get 2. But if you do, make sure the plants are silk so their fins don't tear.
Also, just so you know, you will end up paying more because if you get something tropical, you will probably have to get a heater, then the food, etc etc....lol
Is that in addition to the other fish or not?? I'd rather have a small group of fish.

You could have the shrimp in there and the snails, as far as I know. You have to keep up on your water changes though, just like any other tank. With a 5G you have to watch it closely because it's such a small amount of water.
Also, as far as I know, shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters so you will need to possibly cycle your tank before you get them.

When you say cycle does that mean let the filter run without fish for a week or two?
So if I got a mystery snail, two ghost shrimp, a female betta...I couldn't add a bottom feeder too? Just one of those small black ones you see in every tank at the petstore that just hangs out in the lower water?

Cycling is the nitrogen cycle you have to go thru in a home aquarium so your fish don't die. Here is an artice on it:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Those little brown bottom feeders you see in the pet store grow up to be HUGE bottom feeders, and most will have to be moved to a 55+ gallon tank. Even the cory cats need at least 10 gallons. Shrimp clean the bottom, as well as snails.

If you're talking about a common plecostomus they get to be pretty large.

attachment.php

Wow that is big, I guess I just wouldn't expect such a popular fish to grow so big. So two ghost shrimp a mystery snail...and one more thing...blackomen it says you have a similar setup in a 10-gallon would it work in a 5 if I changed water a little more often?

I love that pic, I got mine when I was just starting out and had no idea it could possibly get that large. But, I plan on putting it in my 90 gallon when it grows out a bit. It's only about 3 inches right now. The pleco is a BIG mess maker (huge biological load). I have to do a 50% water change twice a week to keep that tank half way decent. If you can get a larger tank you can do a lot more of what you want.

Ok quick question...I have seen ghost shrimp kept in a bowl with a betta and live happy and healthy...so is a bowl different from tank in terms of cycling since there isn't a filter? How does all that work out?

Cycled tanks are easier to take care of because the good bacteria (nitrAte) gets rid of the ammonia and nitrItes.
NOTHING should be kept in a bowl IMO. You want your fish to thrive, not just survive. It would be like you just living in your bathroom forever, gets a little cramped and boring in there lol.
And you can still cycle bowls, it just takes longer. In a tank that size (5G) you will need to do 2, 50% water changes a week or you will be battling diseases and such forever. Make sure you buy dechlorinator if you are on city water too.

Okay I was at PetSmart awhile ago and saw this 10 gallon set for 60 bucks...it came with substrate, filter, heater, conditioner and food plus tank with hood and a light does that sound like a better idea?

You will have more options with a 10G!
But the food...eh. I recommend the Hikari food over the other ones, and all my fish prefer it. And make sure you get that dechlor. Most people on here use Prime, (you can get it at PetSmart), for about $11 and it lasts FOREVER. It also binds to the ammonia and nitrite making it less toxic to your fish.

Hmm so if I didn't go for a kit, and bought everything separate what is a good ten gallon filter? I didn't think the food would be great anyway...I plan to have kind of a fishy menu and mix things up every once in a while. How much am I looking at here if I went with a ten gallon? I doubt PetSmart still has the deal because I saw it before Christmas.

I'm also looking into making my own sponge filter...sounds cheaper and just as efficient as other filters.

They probably still do, I just picked up a bare 20G for $75. I would say setting up my other 10G, (with a lot of trial and error) I spent probably around $300. But if you do everything right the first time, you won't have to spend that much.
I would order my heater from www.drsfostersmith.com, and I would get a Marineland Stealth heater. I would also order the dry food from them.
You can go to WalMart and get a 10G tank with the filter for around $40. Some people on here like the filters that come with those tanks.
I use sand substrate in my tanks and I got the sand (Pool filter sand, PFS) for $11/50lbs.
You can go to the dollar store and get fake plants. Just soak them in a bucket for a week or so before putting them in, to make sure they don't bleed dye or rust.

You can buy poly fiber at WalMart or a craft store too and use that instead of buying the replacement filter cartridges.

Have you ever used sponge filters? Would you recommend using one?

There is a sponge in my filters, but not the one I have in my 5G.

This is the one in my 5G:
Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filtershttp://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753028&lmdn=Brand

And in my 10G I have this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3610&pcatid=3610

In my bigger tanks I have these:
Aquarium Power Filters: Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters

This is the food I use for my community fish:
Tropical Aquarium Fish Staple Foods: Hikari Micro Pellets Food

And this is the food I use for my bettas:
Betta Bio-Gold Fish Food

Here's the heaters I use in ALL tanks:
Heaters: Marineland Stealth Pro-Heaters

And this is the dechlorinator:
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

Back
Top Bottom