Just The Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMF0585

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
4 days ago I got a 46 gallon bow front from my father in law. He had already had the tank established for years. He gave his fish to a friend who had wanted them and I was getting the tank. So I left about 10 gallons of water in the tank and took everything else out. Had two Whisper 30 Power Filters. Fill the tank and plug in the filters. Only one works. Went out a bought a Penguin 200 which according to the box will filter the tank over 4 times an hour. I have the one working Whisper 30 with old filter cartridge ( I was told to do this because of needed bacteria) and the new Penguin 200 running for about 4 days. Test the water and everything looks good levels are surprisingly good water is hard (Upstate New York). Talk to my buddy who has years of experience and he says I need to get a few small fish in the tank to get everything set up properly for bacteria. Told me that the 10 gallons plus the old cartridge should be a good start and maybe why the water is testing so good. Tells me mollies do well in hard water and to get 2 or 3. So went and bought 2 mollies, which have been doing fine for 24 hours. After this long drawn out story I was wondering if I should keep running both filters (I have read no such thing as too much filtration), and if I do when should I change out the old Whisper cartage? Sorry for the long story but I'm new to this and want to get it right the first time. Thank you in advance.

No such thing as too much filtration. Allows more room for beneficial bacteria and more flow which is nice to have good gas exchange.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom