Keegster803's shelldweller 10gal build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You said you can't get another tank so at this point it's not relevant planning a 20L.

Look at that link I posted and do more research then approach us with more refined questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Signatus is a shellie and that's it. It could be housed in a 10, but be prepared to constantly pull fry...they're pretty prolific

Neolamprologus cylindricus is quite aggressive and is a rock dweller, not a shell dweller or even spawner. Definitely not suitable for a 10

Telmatochromis vittatus is a shell spawner, but not a shell dweller. Again, not suitable for a 10 gallon.

I am juggling between signatus and ocellatus, which one do you guys think I should do?

Personally, I'd say research both species a lot more. You keep asking us questions that are incredibly easy to find, especially in that link Mog posted. A shellie tank is easy to set up, it's keeping peace that can be difficult. I had to set my 20 long up with 20lbs of holey rock to keep peace between my multies, dwarf tang bullhead cats, and my goby cichlid. I would never recommend anyone try a tanganyikan community in anything less than a 40 breeder unless they have experience. In my ocellatus tank, I had to add a piece of holey rock to define their territories because they don't like each other. Balance is tricky, and knowing the fish inside and out will help largely.

Personally, I'd say research both species a lot more. You keep asking us questions that are incredibly easy to find, especially in that link Mog posted. A shellie tank is easy to set up, it's keeping peace that can be difficult. I had to set my 20 long up with 20lbs of holey rock to keep peace between my multies, dwarf tang bullhead cats, and my goby cichlid. I would never recommend anyone try a tanganyikan community in anything less than a 40 breeder unless they have experience. In my ocellatus tank, I had to add a piece of holey rock to define their territories because they don't like each other. Balance is tricky, and knowing the fish inside and out will help largely.

Thanks for the advice. And how did you get dwarf bullheads? I've been looking for some for quite a while

Thanks for the advice. And how did you get dwarf bullheads? I've been looking for some for quite a while

You've been looking for lophiobagrus cyclurus? Not a commonly known species...my old LFS breeds them and I know the owners well. Mine have spawned but I wasn't able to pull the eggs, and no longer have access to view any of their caves

Actually, I commented on your post about them. I forgot bout that...

Signatus is a shellie and that's it. It could be housed in a 10, but be prepared to constantly pull fry...they're pretty prolific

Neolamprologus cylindricus is quite aggressive and is a rock dweller, not a shell dweller or even spawner. Definitely not suitable for a 10

Telmatochromis vittatus is a shell spawner, but not a shell dweller. Again, not suitable for a 10 gallon.

The signatus may be the best option for a 10 as they prefer to be in pairs rather than a harem, but yes they are definitely prolific.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The signatus may be the best option for a 10 as they prefer to be in pairs rather than a harem, but yes they are definitely prolific.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I'm going with a pair of signatus. And how long does it take for them to pair up?

And my LFS also has some brichardi

I'm gonna try my best to not sound rude or harsh, but seriously man, google it. A quick google search will turn up that neo brichardi get 3-4 inches, and live mainly in colonies, where each generation helps take care of future generations. 30 gallon minimum in my book

I'm gonna try my best to not sound rude or harsh, but seriously man, google it. A quick google search will turn up that neo brichardi get 3-4 inches, and live mainly in colonies, where each generation helps take care of future generations. 30 gallon minimum in my book

Thanks freak, I understand, I just like to get your info first as it seems like you have a lot of these species before

Thanks freak, I understand, I just like to get your info first as it seems like you have a lot of these species before

I honestly have only had a few, most of the info I have is from friends who have owned them, or from endless searching of the internet. However, you own one shellie, and you can predict behavior of others somewhat well (not always). I currently keep neo multifasciatus, neo occelatus purple, a deformed neo brichardi, spathodus erythrodon. I have had prior experience with neo leleupi, julidochromis marlieri black, and alto calvus black.

Back
Top Bottom