Keegster803's shelldweller 10gal build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this normal for you guys? And any advice is welcome, whether it be what to feed them or what kind of temperature to keep it at.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys I need some help, I recently just got 2 brevis and one seems to be more aggressive than the other, I split up the shells 4 on each side, and the aggressive one seems to be hogging the whole tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Try removing the aggressive one for a few hours, but you really should add some more shells and maybe rocks to break up sight lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like gillie said, add more shells, make a barrier between them. I would post a picture of my ocellatus tank but I'm over my quota on here and can't post from mobile. This is also generally a reason I'm not a big fan of brevis in a 10 gallon when they're not a proven pair, shellies in general can be weird. My male and female ocellatus hated eachother in my 39 column, but are buddy buddy in the 10 gallon

Should I have bought a bigger group like 6ish and let a pair form?

Should I have bought a bigger group like 6ish and let a pair form?

Usually that is the plan but for a 10 gallon that would get tricky. The best bet would be to watch the fish for a while and see which ones are sticking together.
Do you have pics of the 2 you have?

Can you get a better pic of the larger fish on the right? I need to be able to see the head

The one on the left, as the aggressive one is the one where you can't see the stripes, except on the tail

Interesting, that's the one I pegged as female in the first pic. How big are they?

I'd still add more shells, like cover the bottom in them, added territory can calm them considerably

I personally would have started with a small group. Brevis do breed in pairs, and generally share a single shell, but just because a male and female are together doesn't mean they're going to like each other. Sometimes helps to have choices for them

I'd still add more shells, like cover the bottom in them, added territory can calm them considerably

I personally would have started with a small group. Brevis do breed in pairs, and generally share a single shell, but just because a male and female are together doesn't mean they're going to like each other. Sometimes helps to have choices for them

I agree, it looks like there is a male and female, but the "female" seems to be the aggressor so adding 4 more until a pair forms would be the way to go, but you definitely need to add more shells first.

Ok, and how long does it take for them to pair up?

With a group it usually happens quickly, but with just a male and female it's a crap shoot it could be immediate, a week, a month or not at all.

Ok, I have 36 shells in total to use. So when the pair forms should I return the others?

Back
Top Bottom