Keegster803's shelldweller 10gal build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shell dwellers will be fine in a 10g.. They are one of the smallest if not the smallest cichlids I have had six 2" acei in a 10 for about a year now just fine just do you research in temperaments and introduce the fish according to that, since your getting the same breed it should be fine, also I have ALL males I got the acei in hopes of breeding but after having a set of fish that didn't rip eacother other to shreds I decided to keep my boys, water parameter might be tough I have a 2g HOB refugium to help out with water parameters

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shell dwellers will be fine in a 10g.. They are one of the smallest if not the smallest cichlids I have had six 2" acei in a 10 for about a year now just fine just do you research in temperaments and introduce the fish according to that, since your getting the same breed it should be fine, also I have ALL males I got the acei in hopes of breeding but after having a set of fish that didn't rip eacother other to shreds I decided to keep my boys, water parameter might be tough I have a 2g HOB refugium to help out with water parameters

Shelldwellers are multiple species, they vary in length, some are the size of rams. They aren't all the smallest. And I have been doing a lot of research on these guys already. But thanks for the assurance

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

And all those acei will have stunted growth and will likely die faster than the normal lifespan as they grow to 8" and require a 75 gal minimum

Ahh the only dwellers iv seen are at my Lfs and don't get bigger than 1.5" but good luck!

Where to begin on this....I guess I'll just dive in at the start.

1.) No. Not all shell dwellers will be fine in a 10 gallon. There are several species of shell dweller and shell spawners, some of which get to a decent size.

2.) while yes, neolamprologus multifasciatus is considered the smallest cichlid known to man currently, but again, not all species are. Perfect example, try googling "male neolamprologus callipterus".

3.) Acei are mbuna. And big mbuna at that. You can't compare them to shellies at all really, nothing like them.

4.) keeping acei in a 10 gallon is cruelty. Trust me, I'm an animal control officer. I deal with others animal mistakes A LOT. After a year, acei should be MUCH bigger than 2". Just because you have "good filtration" doesn't mean you can keep any fish you want in any tank size just laying around.

5.) personal pet peeve: fish do NOT have breeds. When discussing fish, it starts with the genus, eg. Neolamprologus. Then it goes to the species, eg. Brevis. Then it goes to collection point or color morph, eg. "Sunspot" or "kitumba". Put these together to get neolamprologus brevis "kitumba" ["sunspot]. Fish are species, not breeds, which refer to domesticated animals, such as dogs, cats, livestock, etc.

6.) I'd recommend not advising others on something you obviously know little to nothing about. You're spreading some pretty ignorant and uneducated things around. One little thread can be read by many and those people may take your inaccuracies as fact, perpetuating myths and faux information.

Can you get a better pic of the larger fish on the right? I need to be able to see the head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How can you tell whether they are male or female?

so why don't we make this simple what fish can be kept in a 10 gallon tank in pairs, what can be in groups what will breed esey?

so why don't we make this simple what fish can be kept in a 10 gallon tank in pairs, what can be in groups what will breed esey?

Or...here's a thought...research some species on your own rather than only asking others to do the work for you and hijacking a thread. Thank you.

sorry if it sounded that way i was just having a similar question and wanted to help people get the information. sorry:(:facepalm:

I say it bc there is literally that same question posted at least once a week. Try using the forums search feature or even google

I say it bc there is literally that same question posted at least once a week. Try using the forums search feature or even google

Yeah we probably hear this question way too much and it makes me question just how many people are actually prepared to take on rather aggressive fish in a small tank, by the sounds of it not too many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well ever since I added more shells to the tank, they haven't been aggressive towards each other.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429585582.529673.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429585658.933116.jpg hey guys I picked up some occelatus golds, they are looking lovely, got a pair of them at the auction, I hope they breed. As they are supposed to be a breeding pair. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429585741.118715.jpg I'm getting ready for my weekly cleanup and 50% water change, and I'll continue to post pics.

Well, I came home from school to find this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431372431.057350.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431372467.114370.jpg
The male decided to do some new aquascaping while I was gone

Hey guys, it's been a while, I haven't been able to Update the thread for anyone still following, so here's an update:
The male was being very aggressive to the female until a couple of weeks ago, I took them to my 4-h fair and won Grand Champion with them, and ever since I put them back in the 10 gallon they haven't stopped breeding. They have had 3 batches of fry. The 1st batch got swallowed by the pair, the 2nd batch got swallowed, except for one fry, and the 3rd batch, which hatched last Wednesday) is still alive, I counted 5 this morning, the parents are heavily guarding them, and when I walk up to the tank, they all retreat into a shell with the female. I'll post pics as soon as I get home from school. The survivor of the 2nd batch is currently in a breeder net in the main tank.

Sent via echolocation

Back
Top Bottom