Keep the 75 or downsize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is becoming a very hard decision. I moved almost a year ago, and for the last several months, I have barely been paying attention to my 75 gallon. Part of it is the location, I think. It's not the most convenient location for water changes, etc. I've been toying with the idea of going with a hex or corner tank that would take up much less room but would still be big enough to enjoy (45-50gal).

Part of what is holding me back is that I'd never get the money back that I put in to this tank, so it's the balance between the extra space/money vs the history of putting together my setup, etc etc.

There's a complete 50gal setup for sale on CL for $100, and I'm really trying to make myself come to a decision about the 75gal. Have any of you downsized & regretted it? Do you own a hex/corner tank and LOVE it? I know I am the only one that can decide what to do, but I'd appreciate any input you all have. Thanks!

I used to have a fish room with many tanks, ranging in size from 5g to 75g. I now have a 10g with my beloved N. multifasciatus and I'm in the process of setting up my first marine tank (a 50g). My fish room become a job. I didn't enjoy the fish anymore and came down with a serious case of burnout. I can't say that you won't regret downsizing, but I can tell you that I don't. Between working, being married, and having a 14 month old son, I don't have the time, space, or energy for multiple tanks. For the first time in a long time, I sit and stare into the multi tank, simply enjoying their interaction. And as far as the marine tank goes, I spend hours researching equipment and fish lists-- heck, even my wife has gotten into it and she's not much of a fish geek.

My suggestion would be to tear down the 75g and put it into storage. If you decide you're over your burnout-- it's there, waiting to be set back up.

Seems any easy answer to me. I would not downsize for a couple reasons the main one being there is no difference on the maintenance. Lets say you do a 20 percent water change a week. So 15 gallons or 10 gallons you have saved around 10 minutes at best. To me time is rarely an issue, if you want to do it the time seems to appear. I have two kids (third on the way), two dogs, work full time, wife that works full time, kids have soccer, etc.... and I keep multiple tanks and don't use a python, good old bucket. Ten minutes is no problem to squeeze in during the day for me, but others may be different. Is a different location going to make much of a difference? Sounds more like a burnout issue.

You say that you have not been paying attention to your 75 gallon for a while now. I think you answered your own question :) You seem like you enjoy the hobby and want to keep a tank. If the 50 gallon setup on CL looks okay when you see it, get it. You can always keep the 75 empty if you change your mind later, like Voodoo Chili says. If, in a year or so, you are still enjoying your 50 gallon, then sell the 75. It's true that you won't get your money back totally for what you put into the 75, but you can sell it for something. I have sold several things on Ebay (not fish related) and while I have not gotten back their original value, I have still gotten some nice checks.

I am going to move soon and I am going to consolidate two of my tanks into one tank. I have four tanks now and I am burned out with these two. When I move, or in a few months, I am getting excited to plan a new tank with the consolidated two. (These two tanks have no fish in them now.) So I think you should consider getting the smaller tank that you want. It won't have the problems that the 75 does that you don't like, and it will renew your enthusiasm about the fish and the hobby.

I'd sell the 75. If you decide you want a big tank again you can always get a used one-and you don't have to store the giant tank in the meantime.

Then I'd set up a 5 gallon in a location where you can stare at it easily (mine's next to the computer). So easy to take care of, and you can plant it and have lots-o-critters in there.

I do love my 75 gallon, but I actually watch and enjoy the smaller tanks more. If I want to stare at the 75 seriously I have to pull up a chair. I bought the 5 gal as a kit for $35; it came with a 9W compact fluorescent, and cheapie HOB filter. The filter worked great, actually, but as I added more animals I felt it wise to get some more media space in the filter, so I swapped it for the AC20 a couple months ago.

I did a 50% water change, trimmed the plants, cleaned the teensy AquaClear and dosed it with Excel and Comprehensive in 10-15 minutes yesterday. It's got about 40 H formosa, 4 cherry shrimp, 4 dwarf cajun shrimp (2 are babies), coupla apple snails, 2 otos and MTS in there..

If I weren't so greedy with the amount of livestock I could get maintenance down to once a month, I think (I do it weekly now). Even with all those animals, it doesn't look crowded 'cause there are lots of plants and driftwood in the tank and everybody has hiding spots. I have lost only one crayfish, and I think he took a walk.

Hmm--sorry...this post got long...I guess I REALLY LIKE my 5 gallon..... :oops:

I have to agree with Bill try the python. A hex tank will offer you less choices for stocking. If it is a case of being burned out by the maintenance of the tank that is another story but if it is just a matter of convenience, I'd keep the tank. Of course I may not be the best to advise, I have 12 tanks. :)

Is the 75 located where you can enjoy it?

My 75 sits right across the kitchen table - I stare at it all the time. If this tank was out of sight, and I couldn't easily stare at it all the time, it would be more work than it was worth.

If your 75 is "out of site" then you should get one that fits in a location where you can enjoy it. I would suggest understocking the 75 to lower the maintenance and give it lots of time before you get rid of it. It might be fun to try breeding your favorite fish, and like you said - you will never get what you paid for it.

OK, I've pretty much psyched myself into keeping the tank. It will be moved eventually to a more hospitable spot, but in the meantime, here's the game plan (yes, I'm sinking even MORE money into it!):
get a triple bulb light strip to up the light even more. PetsMart is having a $10 off sale on light strips + free shipping on orders over $50, so a brand new light strip would be $92.99 (still hoping to find a used one, tho).

Get a CO2 system for the plants.

Rehome the angels & probably the common plecos (replace w/ a bristlenose).

Dojo loach goes to live with the goldfish. Replace w/ botias for snail patrol.

Go nuts on ebay for live plants. Rearrange tank as needed.

Try to find local breeders for gouramis.

Sit back & enjoy.

:D

img_815441_0_0963d7fb05cf411970fdbfa431c3f75a.jpg

Note the upside down mousetraps along the light strip to keep nosy cats off the tank...

You do realize that you are setting yourself up for more work by going the planted route? Still, planted tanks, well done, are beautiful. Another alternative would be a low maintenace, but colourful tank, with schools of tetras, and fake plants. Regardless, good luck with what ever you do. To me the 75 is the ideal size, for a number of reasons, the main 2 being the front to back depth, and the 4' length allows you to buy the cjeapest flourescent tubes available.

WOW what a turnaround. Good luck and honestly it is going to take much more time unless you go low light.

I just can't let go of my dream of a planted tank. Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a 50 or 60 gallon. They're the same length as my tank, but shallower, so lighting may not be as much of an issue. OK, off to read all the posts in the planted tank section to see if I need to slap myself upside the head again...

True planted tanks are more work in many ways but they are worth it IMO. A recent convert I am myself and don't regret it.

Hmm, new substrate for growing plants, CO2 system, upgraded lighting for plants, new flora and fauna, I'd estimate at least $200 to get it together.

Aggravation of learning how to maintain CO2/plants/water chemistry balance (to keep fish happy), PRICELESS... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom