keeping substrate clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have gravel in my current tank but when i upgrade to a larger tank im not sure what substrate to get.
I am thinking of sand but how do i vacuum sand wont i just get sucked up? It will also be a planted tank will sand be ok or will i need a different substrate whats the easiest substrate to keep clean and looking good?

Having sand in all my tanks I can honestly say they stay cleaner. With gravel all the waste can fall down through the cracks settling on the bottom where as sand it sits on top.

With that I just swirl the python above the sand stirring it up while sucking up debris, when finished there are always a few particles left over in the sink but less than a teaspoon. Different sands have different weights which also effects how easily they can sucked up. After the first thirty seconds of trying it for yourself you'll understand how easy it is.

As far as plants I'm sure someone else will chime in, since the only thing I'm currently growing is algae.

Last edited:
Yes, get a 'gravel-vac' but one which you can easily adjust the flow. Then you can regulate the pick-up so it draws off the waste and not the sand.
A thread I was reading the other day suggests all manner of ways to secure your plants in sand, ranging from tying down to rocks or ornamentals or using lead substitute weights around the base of plant near root.

I don't gravel vac my planted substrates at all.

The sand ones are easy, though, especially the ones with a decent current. The detritus all builds up in a spot and makes vacuuming a snap.

I use this one with a sand type substrate...
Gravel Cleaner > X Large

It helps if you lay the sand out so it is higher around the sides and back of the aquarium so the waste tends to settle in the center front of the aquarium.
The flow is adjustable.

Back
Top Bottom