Kenyi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
My amonia levels are finally going down about 8 hours after adding amonia and bumping it up to "toxic". I am picking up a Api test kit in the morning. The test strips I have just do not seem to work right for nitrites and nitrates.

I am leaning towards Kenyi in my 29 gallon tank. Ideally I want to get one male to several females. What would you recommend for the final stocking of them?

I will end up getting juvies and then thinning them out as they show dominance and change color.

:thanks:

Is the 29gal a temporary tank or the permanent housing for them? If the latter I wouldn't recommend kenyi for a 29gal tank due to their hyperdominant nature.

Ah I was under the impression that with only one male a 29 would be fine. Are there any other blue/yellow cichlids that you would recommend for a permanent resident in a 29?

I do not have any local fish stores just petsmart so it has to be something I can get from there or find to order.

With a 29gal you're going to be limited to some of the shell-dwelling varieties or the rams. You might want to check out the German Blue Rams ~ lots of people on here recommend them for small tanks; I personally have no experience with them at all.

Personally I've had issues keeping Kenyi long term in a 100gal tank, I would say that its a toss up between them and the Auratus in terms of which is the most dominant Mbuna (at least in terms of those which are readily available. Definitely not suitable for a smaller tank regardless of male/female ratio.

Hmm... My ph is too high and to hard for the Blue Rams. Also heard they are difficult to keep. I am a newbie so I need something reasonably easy. The shellies are not available here locally.

I guess it might just be better to go with a community tank....

Thanks everyone. I would hate it if I got something not suitable for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom