Khuli Loach one of my favs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love, love, love garnet sand. I got mine from a sandblasting supply store and they had tons of kinds of sand. Not sure about the grit size I got might check back on that - there was a thread I posted for it you could find it maybe like - anyone use garnet sand before? Long time back. It comes in different colors too so light orange sunset type color to pink. Mine came from idaho and easy a purple-y pink. There are always brown to black to a a very small amount of nearly clear to white grains in the blend. I am in the mill of busy stuff atm. Or I would link the thread and pics of mine are in the albums my sw nano, I have was a 5g. Also 16G bowfront.

That rock would look great with it.

Check out CaribSea Super Naturals sands too on their web site. They have some with BB water so you won't have to rinse. Garnet sand is light rinse time because it's cleaner for the sandblasting.

Check out CaribSea Super Naturals sands too on their web site. They have some with BB water so you won't have to rinse. Garnet sand is light rinse time because it's cleaner for the sandblasting.

I love the garnet sand. What grit would be good?

Didn't find the grit # yet on what I got back in April 2013. It was 50# for 18.99.

80 grit is maybe what I got. Hard to remember for sure - could have been 120 because of I remember having 2 choices and for sure it was the one I wanted. This is often available at a farm ranch supply store around $25 for maybe 50lb. As mentioned, the different mine locations have different colors of garnet (sands).

Are you sure you're feeling alright? [emoji23]

Good move. Sorry I don't really no many good substrates. I haven't used many different ones.

How did I miss you making fun of me! I love my glass! And I painstakingly check it to make sure all the templed edges aren't chipped to hurt anyone.

Ok ya, it's stupid girl stuff. But I can attest to the fact that I haven't had any PH issues since I got rid of my crappy gravel that was leaching minerals as it aged.

That is why I am so concerned about sand. I needs to be inert.

[emoji13]

Yikes that is hugely chunky, small numbers in size means bigger chunks.

I would NOT go with that. 80-120 would be better.

Item # GA55100, Barton 100 HPA - Fine On Kleen Blast

Item # GA5580, Barton 80 HPA - Water Jet Grade On Kleen Blast

Concord Feed Pet & Livestock Supplies ask for options for sand blasting media, specifically Garnet, usually used in water jets. (whatever that means, jk, lol)

Thank you so much for the guidance! I know nothing about sand the small and dusty verses huge and chunky.

Reworking the tank. Gotta figure out how these Finnex lights work and decide on a back. Also set up the new canister and move Khuli's.IMG_1482796162.945900.jpg

Last edited:
Reworking the tank. Gotta figure out how these Finnex lights work and decide on a back. Also set up the new canister and move Khuli's.View attachment 292322

Ooohhhh what is that sand :brows:???

Today was spent cleaning out 1 fish tank cabinet and one side table between them plus a basket. Wowzie was that quite a bit of stuff. The foods were separated, trash thrown out (a collection of about 10 empty Prime bottles for just in case I bought a 2 liter of Prime) can anyone say bottle hoarder, lol.

Shopped for stands on CL, nothing good, online nothing I wanted really. I have a "maybe" in case I can't come up with something else, I need 2 matching ones to flank the 72G. Also shopped for a new 12G Edge locally. Too much $$$.

Thinking Friday might be move the tanks around day.

Yep it's the garnet sand. Deeper in the back for the plants. I plan on putting some root tabs in today, setting up the new canister, putting the backing on and moving in the new Khuli's.

Cleared up this morning.
IMG_1482847897.477573.jpg

Last edited:
I agree on the sand - I really like the colour. The sand doesn't have sharp edges or anything?

I hope not. The Khuli's will let me know. If they do not like a substrate they will hang out in the plants and not swim on the bottom much. Back before I had the glass and had gravel they used to hang in the plants most of the time. Right now they are sitting in the sand. IMG_1482852401.247189.jpg

Is there any other sort of indication if it is bothering them? Will their bellies show irritation?

Probably would be something like that - some sort of damage but hopefully all good. I'd imagine if sand feels fine rolling between fingers it should be ok.

Probably would be something like that - some sort of damage but hopefully all good. I'd imagine if sand feels fine rolling between fingers it should be ok.

I ran my hands through it when I was rinsing it and didn't notice it being any different then any other sand.

Back
Top Bottom