killifish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has any one had any experience with killifish? they look beautiful and their eggs are really cheap online, I have a friend that purchased them and a lot hatched...My friend does not have any experience with killifish though. I would like to know if they are community fish or if they are aggressive ( i have an albino cory cat)
some sights have said either or and i would like to get it straight.

questions:

1. are the community or aggressive?
2. are they easy fish that don't demand perfect water?
(water preferences)

I have pair of Golden Wonder killi's...they are not aggressive but they do have huge mouths so smaller fish beware. They tend to stay near the surface away from their tankmates. Otherwise no difference in keeping them.

depends on what kind of killifish. many only live a year or so. its a good idea to keep them in their own tank to breed them so you dont lose them. also many are softwater low ph water. this is just general.

haha should have looked around lol...o well.

I did some more researching and found out that supposedly they are suicide jumpers and will jump out of your tank...any one had these problems? :multi:
they are jumpers so you need lid and keep them sealed.

Ha ok so I guess i will not be getting killifish..thanks guys lol i cant really put a lid on my tank with the way the light stand/ feet are all i have is plastic egg crate on top - cut to the tank demenisons to stop my cat from eating my fish lol

different killifish act completely differently. i have 2 golden panchax's and 2 blue panchax's that live for 3 years instead of 1 year, and they like to jump a bit, my tanks got a hood though so they cannot get out. most are not aggressive to other fish, but then again some others will fin nip and kill others. i saw this very fluro orange coloured killifish juveniles. that was so tempting , after reading up on them with the pet store owner, i read they were very aggressive and did this fin nipping, and decided not to get them.

killifish are great fish that dont require perfect water. but as with all fish, the more you let the water go, the more likely you are to get fish deaths. you can keep them healthy by also adding a bit of aquarium salt every time you do a water change. this keeps away fungus diseases , etc.

make sure you keep the temperature at the specified temps for each killifish because higher temperature cause a faster metabolism ( they will die quicker) .

also killifish are curious little buggers. when im moving things in the tank or siphoning water from the bottom , they are right next to your arm. ive had one of my golden panchax's named panchuu bite my arm multiple times. lol

killifish require different sorts of diets depending on different species. golden and blue panchax's are fine on flakes and also bloodworms. i find alternating their diet keeps them healthier.

if you have any other questions about killifish, ill be happy to help ya out. just message me :)

I tried the eggs once, but wasn't ready once the eggs finally hatched. The newest thing is fairy shrimp in a capsule. You put it in when you soak your eggs, so when they hatch, they have shrimp to eat rather than having to hatch bbs. If I had tried this, I think I might have had killis in my tank...

Back
Top Bottom